Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What's your favourite fast-food side-dish special to your area? For example, very popular here in Quebec is Poutine, fries with cheese curds and smothered in hot dark brown gravy, making the cheese all gooey and melty.

Poutine

I'm especially curious about dishes special to an area, like philly cheese steaks are special to Philadelphia, though they've grown in popularity now elsewhere, and not a side-dish. I'm wondering what's out there I've never heard of before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pig's ear - a favourite snack with cerveza in Madrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
In Pittsburgh, "side-dishes" are inefficient. We lump it all up at once and get everything moving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primanti_Brothers_Restaurant

and a review http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/08/primanti-brothers-pittsbu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to eagerly reply with "Burgerville's Rosemary Shoestring Potatoes" or "Burgerville's Yukon Golds" or "Burgerville's Walla Walla Onion Rings", but I just lost my appetite*.

* More due to the curds than the ear**

** It's from a pig, it's got to be good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that poutine is making me hungry. And I'd love to try pig's ear.

Sadly, Portland has no local side dish that I know of. Maybe jo-jos, but I've seen them in other places too, so I don't think they originated here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official Las Vegas side dish is the 24hr. buffet gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in Toronto my whole life, we don't have a signature side dish (that I know of =) )

Although Poutine is also very popular hear, however my french friend says "you haven't had it until you've tried it in Quebec."

I did try it in Quebec once, and I didn't see much difference.

on a side note, I learned recently that a Bloody Ceaser is a Canadian invention, and that most American's have never heard of it. I myself don't drink that sort of stuff, but I found it interesting. I thought it was a common drink, known everywhere.

Another Canadian "dish" is beaver tails

although I've heard in the states they're called Elephant Ears
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Another Canadian "dish" is beaver tails

although I've heard in the states they're called Elephant Ears

We call them Elephant Ears up here as well, although what I know as an elephant ear is tangentially related to what you posted. If it's not bigger than the plate, it's not an elephant ear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
on a side note, I learned recently that a Bloody Ceaser is a Canadian invention, and that most American's have never heard of it. I myself don't drink that sort of stuff, but I found it interesting. I thought it was a common drink, known everywhere.

You saw that show too, hey. I didn't know that too. It's so common in Canada, I thought it was common around the world as well.

I hate alcohol. I find the taste terrib;e. A Bloody Caesar is one of only two cocktails I can pretty much enjoy.

I think I'll whip up some virgin or near virgin Bloody Caesars. I now got a craving for it. Very refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I take a salad with almost every meal. I'm a sucker for vegetables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
One advantage of moving back to my hometown region is the Beer Nuggets that are served here in DeKalb. They're simplicity itself, just pizza dough fried into li'l, um, nuggets...and served with marinara, but they're fabulous little tufts of carbohydrate goodness. There are two or three places to get them around the Northern Illinois University campus, but I've never seen them outside the confines of DeKalb. Googling "beer nuggets" brings up lots of results from NIU alumni, lamenting their unavailability in other places. I'm sure they're out there, under other names, filling the guts of broke college students...

I can't find a good picture of the nuggets themselves (not that they're very photogenic anyway), but this dude's doing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Deep. Fried. Bacon.

Nothing else matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.