Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Power of Japan

I have seen a person holding only one territory win the game a couple of times. Normally it is when a player tries you takes out a opponent for cards but misses by only one territory. The player then trades in for a large amount of units, takes out the player that tried to take him out, and then wins the game. There was one time though that my friend Paul purposefully limited himself from the start to one territory and ended up winning the game.

We had just started a 6 player game. We had set the game up with a random set up using the territory cards. Paul had got a particular bad starting position with 4-5 countries locate in Asia. I figured he would be the first player out since usually there is one player out quick in a 6 player game. Paul dumped all of his troops on one Asian country.

The first 3 rounds went fairly typical. Every player went for a continent, I went for America, someone Europe, someone Australia and so forth. Paul took one territory per tern in Asia and then invaded Japan on his third turn. Then he did nothing for two turns but put down 3 troops in Japan. So he was sitting on about 25 troops on Japan as everyone else turned in their first card sets. Of course no one wanted to attack the Japan’s horde. So when he turned in 10 or 12 guys we figured America or Australia was going to get pounded. Nope he put his troops on the board and quit.

For the next 5 turns Paul did nothing. Every turn he put down 3 troops on Japan and quit. All of his other Territories were destroyed by other players. So the next round of trade-ins came through 15, 20, 25, 30. Everyone else was attacking each other. Paul just sat on Japan with 40+ troops. But they were in all in large denominations. So there were only 5 or 6 blue pieces on the board. Paul said almost nothing all game, except quietly whispering “done” to the player on his left. But everyone knew that if they used a 30 unit trade in against Japan they would gain nothing. Paul had no cards.

At this point one player was gone. I think it was the player that tried for South America. After all remaining players had a second set of trade-ins, Paul made a big move. He put 3 troops down on Japan, attacked China…… and quit. The next 2 turn were the same, one territory and then quit. Another trade in happened 35. The European player got hammered but not taken out.

Now Paul moved. 40 troops for the trade-in + 3 + 40 on Japan, all in the same spot and all started attacking. He attacked through Kamacatca, plowed through Europe, eliminating one player and then took me out in America. At the end of his turn he had 7 cards. He turned one set in for another 45 troops. He also had another trade-in for 50 next turn. The game was over.

I had never seen this tactic used before. One of the main reasons it ended up working was that he held no cards. Every other time someone would have cards and they would get attacked. Plus he made himself small and quite so that no one would think about him. He played a bad position very well and it made this a very memorable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.