Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
meeple

Hey i work in a board game store * if your from milwaukee i am sure you can figure out what store i am from* thought that maybe we could have a place to chat and share stories.

all i ask is that we not trash any ones store or start any fights or any thing negative.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
What would it prove to trash a store that most likely will be out of biz in 3 months any way?

i am hoping to net work and just hang out and chat with other game store people and see what there stores are like.

if you cant be positive then go to a different thread.

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope your store is around for a lot longer then a few months.

Sounds like a dream job to me, but then never having a real job - what do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I feel like my store is steady and has already proven its self in a long run.
It can be a dream some days but others it is just a cool retail job and retail isn't always roses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked in a boardgame store for some time. The number one question I was asked was "Do you guys carry the Nintendo Wii?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Whuuuut? NO FIGHTS OR TRASHING OTHER STORES??? Hell no, you new users don't know whut's wut!!

For instomomance, there is this dewd in Iderhoe, and he used 2 runn a "gay"me store, and it was wall-to-wall dipsy doodles!! Trash 'im, trash 'im, trash 'im!!

You know Mr. Cranky... if you added some color and such you'd almost have a GROGnads without the content. Shouldn't that worry you at all? And what happened to your spelling... you're not ill are you. Maybe you should go have a lay down perhaps?

Get better. We're all concerned for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
oh i hate that !
we are in a mall and we get that all the time... and we have Board Game in our title!

then then there back is turned shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually worked in a gamestore for a little bit... I think my main two thoughts were: 1)are there any more Joe Louis's and 2)dude, if you clog the toilet one more time you're scooping it out with your hands... I'm not getting the plumber's snake out again!

I love game shops... they're so peaceful in a hectic world. Just games yearning to be played and gamesters yearning to touch a woman.

Sorry, I kid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
we don't have a public bathroom in my location so that is great that it isn't a problem with us... i would not deal well with that...

we don't seem to have that big of a problem with the " mature-ing " teens so that is nice too.. :-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

You know Mr. Cranky... if you added some color and such you'd almost have a GROGnads without the content.

I'll have to assume your racist remarks were inadvertent. GROGnads' color has no bearing on this conversation.

As always sir your quick attention to detail shames my meager ability. I of course meant to add the full spectrum of colours available to us as visually capable human beings to your words would make them not unlike our oft esteemed compatriot GROGnads bon mots. But of course I failed to do so and thus required your eagle-eyed attention in correction.

I thank you for your kind correction and I will endeavour to ensure that my words do indeed mean what they say whether I say them or not.

Edit: to add a smiley face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Ok well now that you two seem to be done can we get back to my innocent thread?

Mike how long did you work for your Game store??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BarristerMeeple wrote:
Ok well now that you two seem to be done can we get back to my innocent thread?

Mike how long did you work for your Game store??

Done? We're never done... I'm working on my merit badge at thread derailing. I work at the feet (with a gas mask of course... some very smelly feet) of some of the great masters.

But since you asked so nicely and this is your thread after all (we shall take it by force of words I say... REVOLUTION) I'll of course let ya know.

I worked in one shop for only a few weeks and the other for the best part of a year. In both cases I was only working between other jobs although I know that if the pay was capable I'd enjoy working as such a place again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
While i am glad that i attracted conversation i didn't think it would be spirited or off topic. i just want to talk about working in a game stores and things that worked or didn't work for you. I have been at my store for a bit over a year and i am a manager now. Just thought it would be fun to connect with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I worked in a boardgame store for some time. The number one question I was asked was "Do you guys carry the Nintendo Wii?"
You never did get back to me on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
BarristerMeeple wrote:
oh i hate that !
we are in a mall and we get that all the time... and we have Board Game in our title!

then then there back is turned shake

Sure i did it just got lost in the scuffel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just for the record it is 1 am here and i am very close to sleeping.

why are you so negative and snotty is my question for you. You came in to my thread and posted crap i thought that this was a place where grown up's can discuss gaming and things that go with it. It would be one thing had you said any thing useful but no you are just poking at it because you can. You my cranky friend are a bully.

so there. call me childish i don't care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
So any one have any thoughts on working in a Game store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BarristerMeeple wrote:
Just for the record it is 1 am here and i am very close to sleeping.

why are you so negative and snotty is my question for you. You came in to my thread and posted crap i thought that this was a place where grown up's can discuss gaming and things that go with it. It would be one thing had you said any thing useful but no you are just poking at it because you can. You my cranky friend are a bully.

so there. call me childish i don't care

Quote:
So Barrister, tell us about things that work for you managing a game store! How do you handle unruly customers who try to tell your other customers blatantly wrong info about games you want to sell?

Actually Mr. Cranky did ask a valid, thread related question that I'm curious to hear more about oh Barrister. How do you deal in the managerial capacity with unruly customers who attempt to mislead others with incorrect info or at best unknowingly erroneous thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BarristerMeeple wrote:
What would it prove to trash a store that most likely will be out of biz in 3 months any way?

i am hoping to net work and just hang out and chat with other game store people and see what there stores are like.

if you cant be positive then go to a different thread.

yuk

How much do I love the newbie telling Cranky to stuff it!

That's Cranky, Jacqui. You'll find he's actually a fine fellow. Just cranky. And Chit Chat is full of nonsense, best to take it in stride--just don't venture into the Religion, Sex, Politics area of BGG.

I know there are quite a few game store employees around. They'll discover your thread eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Keller
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I am not sure that i have had a situation like that. We tend to get to customer to answer there question before another customer can get to them. If they have gotten false info from the internet or something we say something like well the way i have seen it played or have played it my self is different if you want we can check out the rules from our open copy in the back or look them up online. i am interested to see if i have been playing wrong." and handle it from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

If you love it that much, you may as well just cut right to the Pivot questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
tommynomad wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
If you love it that much, you may as well just cut right to the Pivot questions.
I strongly "urge" YOU folks on being more 'courteous' as to restrict THIS to what was the OP's initial intents & purposes, with granting them SOME manners of "common courtesy" due to their most RECENT arrival. They shall discover & uncover for themselves over times misspent here or wherever, and allocate such 'efforts' as they'll provide for the amusement, bemusements, and confusements of ANY, once they're acclimated to BGG. Wish them WELL or get the HELL "on" K? thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
I strongly "urge" YOU folks on being more 'courteous' as to restrict THIS to what was the OP's initial intents & purposes, with granting them SOME manners of "common courtesy" due to their most RECENT arrival. They shall discover & uncover for themselves over times misspent here or wherever, and allocate such 'efforts' as they'll provide for the amusement, bemusements, and confusements of ANY, once they're acclimated to BGG. Wish them WELL or get the HELL "on" K? thx!

While your post is kind and well intentioned Grog, I'm not sure the new guy is ready for your posts in his thread quite yet. For that matter, I'm not ready either in case you're keeping a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
While your post is kind and well intentioned Grog, I'm not sure the new guy is ready for your posts in his thread quite yet. For that matter, I'm not ready either in case you're keeping a list.
I shall have to "disagree" in their 'regard', as they would have to agree with 'moi' FROM when we "chatted" earlier about this entire matter, and they're quite personable so we HOPE that they shall become yet another "irregular" to fit IN!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads, if you really wanted to be helpful, you might have directed this new user to the GAMING-BUYING AND SELLING forum, where it might be reasonably expected that issues concerning the selling of games are a common topic. I was getting around to it, in my own way, before your pal decided I was just a big bully. I will say that the first place she should start is with Gordon Lugauer. I'll be he has lots of stories about working in a game store as it relates to the internet and BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.