Subject: Purchasing Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Stone
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm thinking about the next addition to the collection, and I'm wondering which would be the better choice. This or Dominion? They seem at least at first glance, fairly similar.

Me - Fairly serious gamer
My Wife - Less serious gamer, but does play quite a bit
My kids - love board games, but don't have much experience (they are really only proficient in Power Grid, Agricola, Settlers of Catan) They are 8 and 11 respectively.
My Friends - Pretty serious gamers.

Looking for a FUN game.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
stoneman wrote:
So I'm thinking about the next addition to the collection, and I'm wondering which would be the better choice. This or Dominion? They seem at least at first glance, fairly similar.

Me - Fairly serious gamer
My Wife - Less serious gamer, but does play quite a bit
My kids - love board games, but don't have much experience (they are really only proficient in Power Grid, Agricola, Settlers of Catan) They are 8 and 11 respectively.
My Friends - Pretty serious gamers.

Looking for a FUN game.

Thanks for your input!

Small World is, to my friends and family, a lot more fun than Dominion.

Dominion will scratch an itch, and scratch it deep and good, but its a much less "woooo lets have fuuuuuun" game than Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps "equivalent" in terms of weight and depth, but in no way similar. Possible pros/cons:

* Small World is a bit longer. Once you know what you are doing with Dominion, you can usually knock out a game in 30-40 minutes. Small World is usually going to take a little over an hour.

* Dominion involves a lot of shuffling, and everyone really has to shuffle their own deck. Depending on how good your kids are at shuffling, this may be a concern.

* Small World has lots of direct conflict. For most of the game, you will be directly attacking each other. This may be seen as a pro or con depending on how that sort of thing goes over in your family. The interaction in Dominion is much more subtle, and you can't really attack a single other player (all of the "attacks" will affect everyone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

"Small World" without any reservations ( imho).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
i would recommand Cosmic Encounter first, but if you really feel like it has to be small world or dominion, small world would get my vote as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with either (IMO).

Both have their appeal and both a totally different games. (Get them BOTH)!

Small World - a bit longer game than Dominion; direct conflict. FUN (if you like direct conflict; if you like fantasy). Neat art work the kids will enjoy. Simple and very easy to learn.

Dominion - shorter than SW (30-40 mins.); indirect conflict. FUN (if you enjoy quick card games). Lots of variable combinations make every game different, expansions coming. Simple and very easy to learn.

I play both regularly and could NOT pick one over the other. Moods change from day to day and so my gaming does likewise. But for a family both of those games are ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 'em and think both of 'em are fun. Both games have a high replayability factor, Dominion with its varying decks and Small World with different boards and different race/power combinations.

While I currently rate Dominion a little bit higher, in your case I think I'd go with Small World. It'll handle 1 more player than Dominion, it's not too heavy for your wife, I think your kids would probably prefer it, and it has just enough conflict/strategy in it to probably satisfy you and your friends. With the fantasy theme and nice components, I'd also give Small World a slight edge in the fun department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They are both very different games. This was my experience after buying both games. Taught friends Dominion then Small World. They haven't wanted to touch Small World since. Taught my family Small World then Dominion. We have only broke out Small World when there are more than 4 people wanting to play, Dominion is always out. I personally wish I could get more plays out of Small World, but Dominion has just been too popular. I think the biggest reason is because it plays so much faster. Get them both if you can, but my experience has shown people prefer Dominion over Small World, and the ratings here at BGG seem to show that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stone
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all of your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote -- with an 8-year-old, I would definitely lean toward Small World. Not only more appealing to a kid, but Dominion can be a bit dry, and very subtle, at that age. (Chapeling away Estates is just not a concept an 8-year-old naturally gravitates to; beating up dad's wussy flying elves with my dragonmaster trolls, on the other hand ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.