Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
Marco and me started yet another game of Pandemic with 6 epidemic. Our group have a pretty good record for 5 epidemic (with any number of players), but the 6 epidemic game is almost always a 50/50 affair in terms of win and losses. This time was no different, although even more epic than usual.

I was playing the Scientist and Marco the Operation Expert. The initial infection didn't look good. We had three cubes in Mexico City, Cairo and Chennai, some other cities with black cubes and then a smidge of red, blue and yellow cubes here and there. First turn was mine, I decided to head to Mexico City and cure, and on its turn Marco would fly to the Middle East and build a research center there, as the Black Death was already beginning to worry us. Little did we know...

My first draw of the game: Epidemic. Mumbai came up as the new infected city, and then Chennai was drawn. Chain reaction and the reserve of black cubes was shrinked down to about 4. "OK, we already lost". Even then, we decided to endure, "and in enduring, grow strong".

Marco flew to the Middle East and began to cure like a madman. I had to stay in America to cure some city which had gone up to three cubes. Then we actually started arguing, because I wanted him to drop a research center to facilitate my movement to the black area in order to help him, while he countermanded that if we didn't cure with every action we would lose by running out of black cubes.

Our first stroke of luck in the game came when I drew my fourth yellow card and managed to cure the Yellow Fever while in Atlanta. Marco had to go to the Far East to cure an insurgence of Scarlet Fever, and dropped a research center in Taipei. We met there and Marco gave me the fourth red card to cure the red disease.

In the meantime, black cubes were spiraling out of control (like they had done for the whole course of the game) and were always close to running out (I don't think the cubes in the supply ever rose to double figures). The two main areas of infection were Mumbai-Chennai and the triangle Algiers-Istanbul-Cairo. Marco had to fly to Europe in order to contain the latter of this problems.

We had some other outbreaks in the yellow zone and I had to go cure Africa because Kinshasa and Khartoum threatened to set up a chain reaction. Luckily we managed to drop a research center there via Government Grant.

Then our second stroke of luck (if we can call it so) came. Marco actually drew a double Epidemic on his turn. We had first Paris and then Washington come up. I played One Quiet Night, and we were sure that the first city to come up would be Washington, so I travelled there and cured it, preventing an outbreak.

In the meantime London went up to three blue cubes, so Europe didn't look so good either. Marco dropped a research center in Baghdad to allow me easy travel to the danger zone and went to cure Paris and London via Airlift. (I think we also used Resilient Population on some black city at some point, but I don't remember actually where).

I drew a fourth black card and cured also the black disease, then travelled to Baghdad to cure some cubes to buy us time before they ran out and we lost.

Then came the breakthrough. Marco drew his fifth blue card. If we managed to survive until the beginning of his turn he would just build a research center and find the last cure. The situation seemed good. We had 2 or 3 outbreaks to spare, no black nor blue city was at 3 cubes. We had 2 black cubes and about 10 blue cubes in the supply. I cured 4 black cubes in my turn and then went to draw my two cards.

Epidemic. The city that turned out was Karachi, which had already a cube on it because of previous outbreaks. 7 cubes had to be added to the board. We only had six.

So, this is how we lost this epic game of Pandemic. If we had won, it would have been our most memorable victory so far. As it went, it only was a crying shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Nielsen
Denmark
Ølstykke
Ølstykke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session repport

love how evil Pandemic devil can be. Just when you think you got it then it turns around and smack you down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I also played a 2 player game of pandemic this weekend and we were the same roles as you guys, I was the scientist.

It was a close close game. On my last turn I pulled the sixth epidemic and that is the one that lost it for us. If we could get through 2 more 4 card infection turns (yea right) we could have won because I than had 4 blues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.