Popular Tags: [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
For our first Memorial Day weekend of being residents of the United States, we decided to drive to Austin, and check out one of the local game stores. The whole point of going was to look at all the different boardgames, and then come home and order them online. Well... that was not the case. We ended up buying 3 board games each. In the stack of games he chose to purchase was Yinsh.

Contents

d10-11 gameboard
d10-25 white rings
d10-35 black rings
d10-451 markers (white on one side, black on the other side)
d10-51 rulebook

Recommended Players

Yinsh is strictly a 2 player game.

Setup

Each player is going to chose a set of colour rings. The board goes onto the center of the table, and the markers go towards the side of the board.

How to Play

At the start of the game, each player is going to take turns placing their 5 rings on the board. After the rings have been placed, it is time to place the markers.

To place a marker on the board, you will place it inside of one of your coloured rings, with your colour facing up. You will then move your coloured rings. You can only move your ring in a straight line, and you cannot jump over your opponents rings. The goal of the game is to have a straight line of 5 of your coloured markers.

To change the colours of the marker, works kind of like checkers (in the fact that you jump over the markers, they just don't get removed). Your ring (after a marker is placed) moves in a straight line, and is able to jump over other markers. If it is directly beside a marker, they will continue to jump until the first open space, and is no longer able to move. The markers you jumped over, will then flip to the other colour. If there are no markers beside you, you are allowed (if wanted) to keep moving until you reach a marker, and jump over it to the next open spot and flip the markers over.

Once you have received 5 markers in a row of the same colour, the markers simply gets removed from the playing board. You will also remove one of your coloured rings from the board.

How to Win

The first person to take 3 of their rings off the board wins.

The Good vs The Bad

You may think you are winning, but do a complete 180
Able to manipulate the pieces of the other players, to work out better for you

Survey Says

I really like playing this game. My boyfriend and I have played this game several times since we bought it, and have had a very interesting time. I know that I personally thought that I was going to win the game several times, and get a little too confident, and then he made one move, and the game was over, leaving me stupified. There is a lot of strategy in this game, trying to think ahead for the future. But, I thinkt hat was part of my downfall. This is not a game where you can think too far ahead, as one small move can turn the game into a completely different direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Horst
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad to hear that you decided to support your local game store. :thumbsup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshtheGamer wrote:
I am glad to hear that you decided to support your local game store. thumbsup

I am always a big fan of supporting the local game store.

Back in Canada, I bought all my games, over 100 at the time, from my local game store.

When we came to the States, we placed a couple orders online. We don't really hang out at the local game store, so paying more to buy from them doesn't seem to be a good deal right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Curtis
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife likes Yinsh a lot, too. Moves quicker than Chess (her main beef with me is my slow play time), but gets deeper the more times you play. (And, as a small toy store/game store owner, thanks for supporting a bricks-n-mortar store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.