Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is a game we acquired fairly recently, and have played a handful of times, most recently trying it out 2 player a few times.

Rules - how are they different with 2 players?
With 2 players you use less dragon scales (9) than with more, and also have to make 6 offerings to win - in addition there are only two 7 offering spaces available. These rules changes are all things that change between 3 and 4 players too, to keep the same tightness in the game as the number of players changes.

How is the game different with 2?
The game plays very similarly with 2 as with more - or at least the feel is unchanged. The strategies change subtly, due to the zero-sum nature of the game.

The rewards from taking dragon scales are more calculable, as with only 2 it's easier to make sure that you're either on 3 when they run out, or you can see easily that you're going to win the dragon scale battle. With more players the dragon scales tend to be more competed for, and it's very easy to get hurt when someone else suddenly gets a pile of them that you're not expecting, or it takes ages for the last few to run out and they go to a player you didn't think you get them!

It can be quite vaulable in some areas to make sure that you're getting the majority, as the swing on your opponent doing so is so large. However, this can mean that you put down two cubes to guarantee it, and then it's no longer worth your opponent going there, as their reward is so small compared to yours, so you end up finishing it too! In a 4 player game this is much less likely to happen. This means in 2 player the number of cubes becomes much tighter - it's quite easy to run out of them as you and your opponent go off in different directions and don't finish each other's regions.

Another major difference is the lack of "all jumping on the same tile" that is a feature of multiplayer games. In a 4 player game you tend to find that either all 4 players are in the same area, and tiles get finished quite rapidly, or they rapidly split into 2 pairs in different areas of the board - if it's a 3 and a 1 split, the player on their own tends to do quite badly. In a 2 player game however there can be a real benefit to going off on your own - particularly if it's either a cheap area, or a valuable area. Your opponent can't compete with you, so you get all the rewards!

Timing your sacrifices is important with 2, as with more. Unlike 4 player, where I tend to find the rewards from the board tend to run out towards the end of the game, so that often only one or two players can finish, in 2 player there are plenty of crystals available, so if you're the player who gets a lot early, and spends less on your early sacrifices, it can be easier for you to rush the end of the game, while your opponent is still gathering the necessary crystals, having had to spend a lot more over the course of the game. Even 1 less crystal per sacrifice can add up to 6 crystals over the course of the game, and that's often a couple of turns work!

Verdict
Blue Moon City works just as well with 2 as with more, just with a few subtle differences in strategy and the way the game plays out. It loses nothing of the feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Blue Moon City several times with two players and like it! But we'd missed the detail about there only being two 7-spaces available on the obelisk; thanks for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of blue moon in the mail yesterday and decided that I would learn it with my girlfriend. I did read the part that says not to use the shaded 7's in a 2p game. Although I have only played it once, I had a good time playing it with 2.

I do have a question though, when you sacrifice pieces to the obelisk, do you go in order (7,8,9...) or just fill out the cheapest number(7,7,8...) you can? We played where we each had one side of the obelisk to fill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:
I got my copy of blue moon in the mail yesterday and decided that I would learn it with my girlfriend. I did read the part that says not to use the shaded 7's in a 2p game. Although I have only played it once, I had a good time playing it with 2.

I do have a question though, when you sacrifice pieces to the obelisk, do you go in order (7,8,9...) or just fill out the cheapest number(7,7,8...) you can? We played where we each had one side of the obelisk to fill.

You fill in the lowest available number on the obelisk. There's a slight advantage to getting your in early because they're cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have played quite a few 2-player games of blue moon city. Unfortunately, the games are just a bit too close. They almost always seem to end with the losing player having enough crystals that they would have been able to make the final offering if they had one last turn I understand that people want balance in a game, but this seems to be a bit too close and is often just a factor of either who goes first or who has a flit in their hand.

Has anyone else experienced this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My girlfriend and I have played quite a few 2-player games of blue moon city. Unfortunately, the games are just a bit too close. They almost always seem to end with the losing player having enough crystals that they would have been able to make the final offering if they had one last turn I understand that people want balance in a game, but this seems to be a bit too close and is often just a factor of either who goes first or who has a flit in their hand.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife and I play this two player quite often. Most games are close, and many of the first games were literally down to winning by one turn as you describe.

As we've come to know the game better, we have strategies that that can shift the outcome strongly in your favor.

Try to keep a card in reserve that will allow you extra movement near game end. (As you mentioned.)

Time your play of dragons carefully, so as to edge out your opponent and get 6 crystals to their 3 or none. Don't use dragons if it will edge you closer to scoring them and maybe make it easier for your opponent to benefit.

Don't let your opponent score a tile by themselves. Always try to share the rewards, even if you can't get the majority bonus.

Sorry if these ideas are already obvious to you. It took us awhile to to understand the subtleties, and we're still learning new ideas all the time. Knizia games are oftem like that for us.

We also always use the Knizia suggested scoring of dragon scales, which makes the game a bit more cutthroat for us. His suggestion is that when you score the scales, any players with less than three forfeit them with no score, rather than keeping them for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which is the better 2-player game?
Blue Moon
Blue Moon City
      27 answers
Poll created by Fortune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.