Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys!

I've been trying to find out more about this game, ever since I found the single "Counterstrike"-booster's cards in my gaming cabinet, while searching through my Middle Earth CCG cards. Yet, there's almost nothing out there - at least I couldn't find anything, but my Google-Fu has always been bad.

Now, I know there where eight "sets" released.
- Arsenal
- Commanders Edition
- Counterstrike
- Crusade
- Limited / Unlimited
- MechWarrior
- Mercenaries

And I *assume* that Limited & Unlimited is the "main" line of the game and that they are also sometimes referred to as "core", or am I wrong with this assumption? I am a bit confused, because all I can find about this game is the list (and cardlists) on Sarna and elsewhere - and those also list "MechWarrior", which also sounds like it could be a core line (or an addon focussing on pilots :P).

Also, how many cards are in each release? How many r/u/c? How many cards per deck/starter? Are there any fixed-packs, like in ME CCG, that makes buying starters a must?
I can only find "complete card lists", which makes it rather painful to find all this info, but maybe someone has it on hand or can point me to a page that has it all.

And is this an expensive game to collect & play nowadays? MECCG is rather expensive, if you want to get a good collection, with some booster displays costing upwards of 150€, because of their rarity. :(
(while some others you can buy for less than 10€).

Are there any other releases for this game, other than cards? Books, anything? There are very awesome strategy guides for the MECCG, so I thought I'd ask. :D

Oh and what's with this re-design thing? I've seen the redesigned cards online, but have ALL cards been redesigned and re-released as their original cards, or have they only been released in one set? I've noticed that the Commander's Edition seems to have more cards than previous sets, yet a lot (all?) of the cards of this set seem to be re-releases - so I assume that these are the redesigned ones?

I hope that someone can shed some light into this, I really want to buy a few cards and start playing!

Thanks for any help,
Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Daniel here is a shot at attempting to answer some of your questions (from what I remember of my early collecting of these cards):

There were starter packs but I do not believe you needed to have them to play because they were fully randomized (although there are probably cards in the packs which you'd find useful). The starter packs are not expensive (especially when compared to MECCG). The expansions were boosters only and are also not expensive to find and buy (relatively speaking...I know a FLGS here in Toronto that has tons of boosters for a reasonable price).

The redesign came with Commander's Edition which never did well because the entrenched owners of the game saw this as a money grab for WoTC to just reprint all the cards we already had. As a matter of fact the game went OOP right after Crusade hit the streets.

As for cards per release etc, I may have some of my pen and paper lists that indicate number of cards per expansion (I'll look). Rarity though my friend I'm afraid you'll just have to pour over the cardlist you have to determine that.

No books on strategy that I am aware of.

There are probably more folks here that can help and will post their thoughts and info.

Hope some of this helps...and enjoy...it is a great game!

Doc

Ooops...forgot to mention that Crusade was the first expansion for Commanders edition. And I don't have card counts by expansion..sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"No books on strategy that I am aware of."

You may want to check out old SCRYE magazines. Mike Fitzgerald (sp?) used to write articles on the sets and strategy including deck designs. I've got a ton of old issues that discuss a bunch of out of print CCGs like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Doc!

Thanks for the info, that confirms what I have been figuring out on my own (I checked cardlists and -scans and noticed that Commander's and Crusade have the new layout). I haven't seen much up for sale, other than the usual heaps of singles and a starter for over 22$, but I'll keep looking on ebay.
In regards to rarity, I was actually wondering how the boosters are packed. I think in MECCG it was 1 Rare, 3 Uncommon, and 11 Common, so one could calculate how many booster displays to buy to have a full set (statistically speaking :P). It's no biggy, would just be helpful to get an idea of how much I have to spend! ;-)

Which store in Toronto is that and do you happen to remember what they have for sale (and what's a reasonable price)? I have a good friend there, who I might send on a hunt, if the price is right. :P

As I said before, thanks for the help. It clears up a few things. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riiight, I forgot about the magazines. I only had one or two Scrye and Inquest issues, but I think one of them actually had something. Now if only I could find those. Bah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Btech CCG regularly.

If you want to buy anything sealed, gl, its getting expensive.

The redesign killed the game with limited runs that were not liked by the hardcore btechers. Also many cards were "revised" and it made it a pain in the ass to figure out what the hell your old cards now do.

Crusade and Commander's Edition are quite rare due to the limited release. The hardcore btechers now want these cards as they have all the others haha.

There are no fixed cards in starters, so if you get a starter youll be all set to go. We generally take a starter and 2 boosters (1x Merc and 1x CS) and begin playing for anti. Max 60 card deck.

When creating decks, you must choose an affiliation either from the Inner Sphere or the Clans. This restricts which cards you can put into your deck.

Btech is an amazing game. Especially multiplayer.

I can probably answer any question thrown out so let me know if you need anymore info.

-glamsauce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I assume that buying old collections and open boosters/starters would be the best way?

I am not interested in Crusade & Commander's Edition at all, I looked at the design, didn't like it and - as Doc said - it's just a revision of old cards to milk players again.

I read about the whole affiliation thing and I think I like it. It's just like how MECCG later had items/events that were keyed to a certain character or like Babylon 5 & Alien CCGs with their "factions".
Am I right in the assumption that there are only very few cards that are actually limited not only to certain sides, but to certain houses?
I'm asking because looking at my 15 cards, I have 6 that don't say anything at all & 5 say just "Inner Sphere". On the other hand we have 1 that says Clan Wolf, 1 says Clan Ghost Bear and 2 say Inner Sphere, Kurita. Is that roughly how it goes througout the entire set, with most cards either being usable by all or for the Inner Sphere and the remaining third divided between all the houses and clans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember rarity but the boosters packs are at Hairy Tarantula in Toronto. The owner only has them in his warehouse in north Toronto (I go to his warehouse every so often to crawl through old ccg's) He has lots of boosters from all expansions plus some base stuff. If I recall correctly the packs go for something in the order of $2-3 each Canadian. The owner will sometimes do a deal if you buy enough to make it worth his while. See if your friend is familiar with Hair Tarantula and he could go on June 28th to their quarterly warehouse sale to get some for you.

Barring that let me know and I might be able to get you some stuff from there.

Cheers,
Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the warehouse the one at Dundas/Keele?

Hmm, let's see. 100€ are 155CAN$.... what should I get? :P
I don't want Crusade or CE, so I guess I should go for the Core line, Arsenal, Counterstrike, Mechwarrior and Mercenaries. But how much each?! :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The warehouse is at Yonge and Steeles. I'd have to check with the owner for costs. Wait a few days and I'm sure I can find out some general costs for you.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the factions go and as earlier pointed out, you play inner sphere or clan. The cards are roughly split between the Clans and the Inner Spere though there are many cards that both players can play that are affliation independent. However, some cards do have a house affiliation or specific clan, so you could, with enough cards, play that way but instead I find the use of houses and clan affliations just adds the right amount of theme to a deck you play. You can almost imagine a joint operation between house Steiner and Davion as they send 2 mechs to guard the stockpile, or a couple of Clan Ghost Bear mechs prowling on patrol.

Vortagh wrote:
So I assume that buying old collections and open boosters/starters would be the best way?

I am not interested in Crusade & Commander's Edition at all, I looked at the design, didn't like it and - as Doc said - it's just a revision of old cards to milk players again.

I read about the whole affiliation thing and I think I like it. It's just like how MECCG later had items/events that were keyed to a certain character or like Babylon 5 & Alien CCGs with their "factions".
Am I right in the assumption that there are only very few cards that are actually limited not only to certain sides, but to certain houses?
I'm asking because looking at my 15 cards, I have 6 that don't say anything at all & 5 say just "Inner Sphere". On the other hand we have 1 that says Clan Wolf, 1 says Clan Ghost Bear and 2 say Inner Sphere, Kurita. Is that roughly how it goes througout the entire set, with most cards either being usable by all or for the Inner Sphere and the remaining third divided between all the houses and clans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Haan
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I really appreciate that. :)
Could you ask him for deals as well? As said, I'm most likely going to spend roughly 150-160CAN$, that's about what I get for 100€. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vortagh wrote:
... all I can find about this game is the list (and cardlists) on Sarna and elsewhere ...

Here's a link to the spreadsheet that I uploaded to the 'Geek. It is in MS Excel format.

Vortagh wrote:
How many cards are in each release? How many r/u/c? How many cards per deck/starter? Are there any things that make buying starters a must?

The rarity scheme for each set of Battletech varied. IIRC, the original and Unlimited boosters had 15 cards, with one rare and four uncommons. The Starters were full of randomized cards, with three rares and maybe a dozen uncommons. The main reason folks bought starters was to obtain a decent selection of Support cards, as those were much more frequent in the starters than in the boosters.

As for the expansions, some were 11cards per booster and others were 15. One rare per booster -- but since no set numbering was ever used with Battletech, much less rarity iconography, it is exceedingly difficult to tell these days if some of those rares were R1 (one per rare sheet) or R2 (twice as frequent as R1 rares). I suspect this is true, since I have gobs of some rares but a paucity of others.

Vortagh wrote:
And is this an expensive game to collect & play nowadays?

It is becoming more expensive, as supply dries up. A certain popular auction site frequently lists booster boxes of the earlier expansions in the USD $150 range and up. But, hidden caches abound and old collections get tossed up for auction from time to time -- occasional good deals can still be found.

Vortagh wrote:
Are there any other releases...

Wizards of the Coast never seemed to get around to that for this game. Developing these will be up to us fans here on the Geek.

Vortagh wrote:
What's with this re-design thing?

Commander's Edition was the freshest base set of this game. It consists of almost all the cards from Limited/Unlimited, along with the most useful cards from the intervening expansions, resulting in a huge set size. FYI, one deck can contain cards from each and every expansion -- the Commander's Edition redesign was strictly a graphical layout redesign, not a new suite of mechanics.

Commander's Edition starters are getting hard to find, because they were not randomized cards as with Limited/Unlimited. Instead, each CE starter was specific to one of four Clans or one of four Houses, containing non-random cards to make deckbuilding easier for players with small sets. Also, each CE starter box bore a printed box power (a la Legend of the Five Rings) specific to its House or Clan, which makes those boxes even more desirable.

Crusade, the final released expansion, had some very useful cards. Kinda hard to find this set these days.

Vortagh wrote:
I really want to buy a few cards and start playing!

Thanks for any help,
Daniel

Welcome aboard! I had a lot of fun playing this game with dozens of my friends in the '90s. People got married or moved away, but I still get opportunities to play this game several times a year.

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
an an
msg tools
how many rare cards per limited/unlimited starter box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.