Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2nd game played; lots of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Grutze
United States
California
flag msg tools
I got this game recently and have played twice. I read the rules myself and have not been able to speak to anyone who knows the game well.
Here's a few questiosn that came up after game 2.

1) When fighting a Night Gaunt in an Outer World, if you fail a combat check, what kind of damage is dealt?
His damage normally says to drop you through the nearest gate.

2) Many of the skill cards say, for example, "+1 Lore" & below that 'you get one additional die when spending a clue token for a Lore roll'.
Does this mean you get a passive +1 to your characters Lore aways, AND if you spend a clue you get the bonus?

3) Can a second person become the Deputy of Arkham, and in doing so steal the 3 cards from the original Deputy? I'm not sure if this would ever be strategic, I'm just curious.

4) What exactly does "loose a turn" mean? Can the person still do their upkeep? If they are the first player does the Mythos phase still occur?

5a) If you have to engage monsters in an area where there are more than one, does the player get to choose which he fights first?

5b) I had a card (forget the name) that said I can spend 3x sanity and 3x stamina to defeat all monsters in an area, but I could only use it before making a combat check. This area had two monsters, and to get to a combat check I had to first make a horror check. One monster had an easy horror check and the other didn't. I chose to face the easy one first, passed the check, and then before making the combat check I used my card, killing both monsters. Was this done right?

6) Looking for confirmation here. Outer World movement is independent of speed. So you can have zero speed and still move from the first half to the second, or the second back to Arkham... correct?

I tried to search for some of these, but there's a lot of posts here.
Thanks for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) You go back to Arkham (this is an FAQ answer)

2) Yes, always +1 Lore and +1 die when you spend clues.

3) No. It is a permanent job. You may, however, trade away the gun and wagon.

4) Lose a turn means no upkeep, no movement, no trading items, no encounters. The only thing you can do is stand up your character and get socked with the Mythos effects in Phase 5. This is different than being delayed which just means no movement.

5) Yes, you choose the order. In fact, you can fight some and attempt to evade others.

5b) Yeah, this is a matter of debate and I for one question why you even need to make a horror check. But by the letter of the law, you can choose the easiest horror check and then use the card to defeat everyone.

6) yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You drop through the nearest gate, which is back to Arkham.

2) Yes

3) No

4) You ship your complete turn, including upkeep. Mythos phase is not part of the turn so you still have the mythos phase.

5a) Yes, player choses

5b) Flute of the Outer Gods? Seems correct to me.

6) What do you mean with zero speed? Not sure if there is an investigator with zero speed.

Edit: Brian is faster as usual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grutzujin wrote:
1) When fighting a Night Gaunt in an Outer World, if you fail a combat check, what kind of damage is dealt?
His damage normally says to drop you through the nearest gate.

"First it reads the FAQ again, else it gets the hose again!"

You get returned to Arkham, to a gate leading to the OW you are/were in. If no gate open, LiTaS. Note that NG can also be exploited by trying to Evade it, don't lose Sanity for a possibly failed Horror check.

Quote:
2) Many of the skill cards say, for example, "+1 Lore" & below that 'you get one additional die when spending a clue token for a Lore roll'.
Does this mean you get a passive +1 to your characters Lore aways, AND if you spend a clue you get the bonus?

Yes.

Quote:
3) Can a second person become the Deputy of Arkham, and in doing so steal the 3 cards from the original Deputy? I'm not sure if this would ever be strategic, I'm just curious.

"5. Can an investigator trade in trophies to become the Deputy if another investigator is already the Deputy (the existing Deputy would stop being Deputy)? If so, do they acquire the Patrol Wagon and/or Deputy's Revolver if they are still in the other investigator's possession?

No."

Answer by KW himself.

Quote:
4) What exactly does "loose a turn" mean? Can the person still do their upkeep? If they are the first player does the Mythos phase still occur?

Nope, you don't do anything on the turn you lose. Mythos phase isn't player/investigator dependant, it's a collective phase, so it happens even if the first player is in la-la land.

Quote:
5a) If you have to engage monsters in an area where there are more than one, does the player get to choose which he fights first?

Yep.

Quote:
5b) I had a card (forget the name) that said I can spend 3x sanity and 3x stamina to defeat all monsters in an area, but I could only use it before making a combat check. This area had two monsters, and to get to a combat check I had to first make a horror check. One monster had an easy horror check and the other didn't. I chose to face the easy one first, passed the check, and then before making the combat check I used my card, killing both monsters. Was this done right?

Flute remains a debated item. That's the way I play it myself, for Horror check, then the tooting.

Quote:
6) Looking for confirmation here. Outer World movement is independent of speed. So you can have zero speed and still move from the first half to the second, or the second back to Arkham... correct?

Yes.

EDIT: Casts Dread Curse on Brian and Bind Monster on Kwakkie. Whoops, that 4 Sanity cost total IIRC, zombie .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Casts Dread Curse on Brian and Bind Monster on Kwakkie. Whoops, that 4 Sanity cost total IIRC, zombie .

That would put you at -2 sanity, Dam. See you at the Sanitarium!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grutze
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grutze
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I'm a bit of a BGG noob, can someone teach me where to find the FAQ, and/or any updated pdf rule books that perhaps explain more than the base box?

A link would be fine, but I'd also like to know where to find this stuff in case it carries over to other games.

Edit: I know about the files section, but again, there's lots there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grutzujin wrote:
So I'm a bit of a BGG noob, can someone teach me where to find the FAQ, and/or any updated pdf rule books that perhaps explain more than the base box?

A link would be fine, but I'd also like to know where to find this stuff in case it carries over to other games.

Edit: I know about the files section, but again, there's lots there.

Easier to get it directly from FFG. The FAQ is also revised and updated with each big box expansion. So downloading Innsmouth rules will give you the most current FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Easier to get it directly from FFG. The FAQ is also revised and updated with each big box expansion. So downloading Innsmouth rules will give you the most current FAQ:

With the FAQ in the Innsmouth rules being a straight copy-paste of the KH (or even earlier?) FAQ, i.e. some of the things have been overruled/clarified by KW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.