Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...'cuz I doubt it will ever happen.

Wait, wait! Don't click the back button. I'm curious if anyone's ever seen further comments by Stephen Hand, the designer, on the game hinted at in the "Designer's Remarks" in the rulebook. He mentioned super neo-nazis, vampires, and skeleton warriors... if fans made it happen. Chainsaw Warrior does have a pretty good cult following, so I don't see why this never came about. Maybe it was a joke, like the Mel Brooks' promise of a History of the World Part 2 with Hitler on Ice and Jews in Space. I'm not sure.

But if it ISN'T going to happen, would I be able to make a free game based on "fan fiction" laws that would take its place? And would anyone care? I've got the bulk of special rules for it whipped up, just need some sort of green light...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious... anyone know how to contact Mr. Hand?

Jokes about "raising Hand" have already been considered & abandoned - you have been warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It does surprise me that no one has made a Castle Wolfenstien styled boardgame. I'd be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this would be a sequel of sorts, most of the setup rules would be similar to how they were previously when combined with its WD expansion. Were there any real gripes with setup at that point?

Some of the features of the work so far:
- Stealthy kills and sneaking around, Metal Gear Solid style
- Adds the Curse counter for dealing with vampire bites
- Two different decks; the base deck represents the military post above the super secret facility you're going to have to find a way into. The facility deck is... the facility itself. To get from one to the other, there's a few ways; bombing the Facility Entrance card with your satchel charges raises an alarm and makes things pretty hard from then on out, but if you resort to this, you're probably already running from patrols anyway. You can also find a keycard on an intelligence officer running around.
- Enemies with ranged attacks
- Weapons get a rate of fire to accompany the "rapid fire" rules from the expansion; that is, you can't fire more shots than the rate of fire.
- Board will include an ammo track rather that hunting down chits all the time.

I know there's more, but can't remember right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Denis - I'll be happy to playtest whatever you dream up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COOL! Put me down for a playtesting! I love the original gamecool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha... awesome. At least people are interested. I should be able to at least throw the draft rules and the accompanying dummy cards in the next week, two at the latest. It'll be interesting to hear your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to seek out interest in your playtesting, you're (wait for it!) looking for a show of HANDS????

[I accept all abuse that I deserve]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all that was needed was the first post. Wasn't sure if anyone actually checked this forum ever. I was already well underway with the new mechanics, but before getting into how to fit them into the original rules without making it confusing as all hell, just wanted to make sure the headache was worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew St. Cyr
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this project coming along? I'll sign up for playtesting as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davison
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Middle Aged Mutant Lit Major Turtle
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you worked anymore on this?

If you're trying to emulate the stealth kills of Metal Gear: You can adjust your character's "stealthiness". Every enemy has differing levels of perception, from the obtuse guards to the acute senses of the Nazi vampire. Moving stealthily allows you to pull backstabs without alerting other guards, but you also move slower and the game's doom track moves forward faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Fassnacht II
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello i'm new to this site. I've always wanted a copy of Chainsaw Warrior. ANyone know where i can get one? Also i'm very interested to see this out come of a sequel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always wondered about the supposed sequel mentioned in back of the manual too. I'd love to see if you do end up making it. It does sound a lot like Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, but I think that's cool. Going to have the Angel of Death as the main boss enemy? Will the spear be a usable weapon? Maybe you have to find it first and it's required to kill the Angel of Death?

Hope this idea is still alive.

-Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's still alive. I'll have to throw it up on a fileshare site once I get some time to put the document through an OCR scanner. It was typed on a computer that didn't access the internet and printed. Maybe 3 weeks I hope? Keep bugging me though... I'm pretty bad about forgetting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sweet! How many components is it? Is it a stand alone type of thing? Or more like an expansion that needs the original game. It would be cool if it used the original game board. I hate making pnp game boards sometimes when they are large since I'm financially challenged for the materials and not that great at cutting/gluing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from what I messed around with so far, it actually stepped away from the gigantic board and more towards a smaller "character sheet" sort of thing. Being 6'2", it's pretty strange when I have discomfort reaching across a table to move a counter. Naturally it'll be up to popular opinion whether that stays or goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warlock
Italy
Castrocaro Terme e Terra del Sole
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anything new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm down for CW:2!

LET'S GET IT ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, chalk it up to over-motivation during a year full of hectic training schedules... nothing new yet. I reread the rules I'd typed up while on a trip to Washington and there were a lot of silly issues. Oh well. Guess I'll get to scanning them and let ya'll have a look... I'll concern over individual issues then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting is a bit misleading, I guess, but only in certain ways.

About three years later and I'm at a point I'm pretty happy with. Except it's not exactly for CW2. It is, but it isn't. Here's what I mean:

My last post a deployment-and-a-half ago said I thought some of the rules I had come up with were silly. Perfectionism and self-doubt took hold, and I went about rewriting the entire rules system. So here are some details on a reworked Chainsaw Warrior 1!

More emphasis is put on character building, with a lot more choices. There's little left to random chance during this step, which I enjoy for the sake of running the same character through a few times, modifying the difficulty level by changing to "weaker" equipment. Power gamers can go crazy, but others can challenge them to try it with a different equipment loadout and statline. Optional rules will allow you to go random (as opposed to the 1987 version, which allowed you to pick as an option. Fun!).

The cybernetic piece is also worked in a bit more as a new equipment option, dependent on which part of you is bionic.

You still start with the Laser Lance automatically. Everything else is up to you. You've got your blaster, submachine gun, Reaper, flamethrower, man-to-man rockets, and all the other old favorites. There are some other things to fill in the gaps, just in case you wanted something new.

The combat system is pretty redesigned too. For now, I'll say:

STD weapons, if they hit, only cause one wound.

HVY weapons can inflict multiple wounds, usually on a single target.

RPD weapons are versatile. You roll the number of dice indicated, but normally, each dice is separate, but they can be combined into multiple STD attacks. This lowers the number of potential wounds you can inflict, but increases how readily you inflict them.

Also, most weapons have some sort of keyword associated with them... a submachine gun is a Carbine, for example, and a M2M Rocket is a Blast weapon.

A standard turn consists of assigning Focus Points to Actions. Each turn is 30 seconds, as we all know... and you can do quite a bit in 30 seconds, especially being an adrenaline-pumped, cybernetic, ex-special forces badass. You get five Focus Points a turn, and your primary goal in each location is to CLEAR it with Skill checks. If you don't kill all the enemies in the area and they know you're there, most of them will follow you if you try to run away. It's largely up to you to figure out how to visualize what's going on in a single round, whether hopping over debris and rolling under cover or whatever.

Now, as for locations...
There are several Area cards that serve as a basis for your Location decks. You build a small Location deck for each one based on the requirements on the card. For example, the Access Tunnels require several Rooms, several Hallways, a Sewer Entrance (wrong turn!), and an Elevator.

The Access Tunnels card also indicates the enemy types you'll be fighting on this level. Each main location card, when referenced with the Area card, tells you what enemies you'll be fighting.

The goal is, of course, to get through the building. Immediately after the Middle Floors (I'm still working on a name, I promise!), it's night fighting. You can wind up there before or after 730PM this way.

Each floor gets harder, with either more numerous or more difficult enemies popping up. The Threat Levels and Enemies charts make sure of this. Eventually you'll start running into boss monsters, though it's intended to be rare for more than one or two per game. CPL Winters is a "rage" zombie boss. He's still pretty easy to kill... but the mutant bosses like Legion or the Dimensional Shambler will give you a run for your money. Since I simplified the enemies overall (each basic enemy type has a single stat-line, unlike the five or six Zombie variants from the 1987 version), this seemed like a good way to add something back.

The Meat Machine and Ooze are both running around in there, too, of course. They're more standardized boss enemies, but you won't always find them.

In the Penthouses, you shuffle four Aether Gates into the locations. Each time you destroy one, you better your chances against Darkness.

After that, you fight Darkness.

I'm totally glossing over the fact that there's some magic you might pick up in there, and a Sanity counter. Just like Call of Cthulhu, learning and using magic is dangerous, and you might go crazy trying. Certain hellacious enemies cause Terror, and that can also affect your sanity. Pandemonium will mess with it a bit, too.

Alright, that's what I've got to share right now. There's a lot more to it, but I'm trying to format the rulebook for all to read. The intent behind this was to make a system that CAN be expanded without making too much mess of the rules already in play (an expansion, not a rewrite). For that, I felt I needed to rewrite in the first place. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, and I would love to hear some comments. I'm trying to work on some playtest components so I can finally upload the thing and let you all break it/find what's okay, what's terrible. I've also prepared a lateral background for the system, in case there's any problem with intellectual copyrights. I don't imagine there to be so, since I'm not going to sell it, but I'm not a lawyer!

I hope this vague explanation of things interests a few people, at least. I know it's been a long while.

Oh! I've also been trying to flesh out the story a bit more. I'm a pretty terrible writer, but my version of the game is based on the original, but also tries to bring in some Lovecraftian themes, though more tongue-in-cheek action as in The Laundry series of novels. The basic story is actually a pretty shameless ripoff of The Silver Key, though set in the current/future, though it ends with the main character making a deal with Darkness. Excerpts about the building and its inhabitants are written by him. Weapons and equipment are described by the government and have a more bland instruction manual feel to them, unless the Chainsaw Warrior gives his/her two cents.

Anyway, that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Denis,

Love what you're doing

Keep going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ostrand
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
This sounds very interesting! Following with interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Bethke
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
This sounds really really awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.