Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Howard
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I originally bought B17 back in about 1985 or so, but haven't played in a long while. After the weekend's convention, I pulled out my copy and ran through a campaign yesterday and today. While the first few games were a little rusty and errors were made, by the time of the last dozen or so, I was pretty much playing with the charts only.

All told, I lost five bombers, with 38 crew KIA, 10 taken prisoner, and 5 retired to training duties due to wounds. In exchange, they punched out a 15% bomb run percentage over the campaign, with 9 vicotires in exchange for 5 defeats. They shot down an aggregate of 34 kills, and Johnny Blue flew as an ace in the ball turret of Big Bertha and Hello Kitty before dying in an exploding bomb bay catastrophe; he collected a total of 7 kills.

By position, kills for the full 25 mission were: bombadier 2.5, navigator 5 kills, engineer 5.5 kills, radio operator 0 kills, ball turret 7.5 kills, port waist 3 kills, stardboard waist 4 kills, tail gunner 6.5 kills.

The most interesting mission was #18, to Lorient. The crew was in its second mission in Hellow Kitty after 'Bertha was wrecked on landing due to poor weather after the best bombing run of the campaign (60%) due to poor weather. A near run defeat, action over the target included massive injuries to the the crew, but little to the plane itself. Defenses were stretched thin as attrition started with a seriously wounded bombadier and port waist gunner inbound. Rather than fall out of formation, Hello Kitty rumbled on with little chances of a successful bomb run. Soon, the co pilot took a shell through the skull and the engineer moved in to assist the wounded pilot, while the operator covered the turret until it was shot up beyond repair. When the navigator was seriously wounded, the radio operator moved again, this time into a blood soaked nose compartment. Luck wasn't with him either, and his blood soon joined his mess mates.. The starboard waist gunner moved to the vacant port position after his gun was destroyed, only to die at his partner's gun. All told, two were killed in the air and four were seriously wounded. Against the final wave, the pilot and engineer battled the controls with only a ball turret and and tail gunner for defense, while the nose and waist sections looked like a Civil War hospital for all the blood. Not surprising that this was the day that Johnny Blue made ace.

Much thanks to the community here for providing mission record downloads.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

20+ years, eh? That's an old bomber.

And I ain't talking about the plane.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.