David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Consimworld? There are scads of wargamers around here.

And GCOM chapters are subject to heavy variation. My usual group generally has heavy Euros (Die Macher, Caylus, and I plan to hook everyone on Le Havre next time), or, when I feel like lugging a giant duffel up there, Descent. Other chapters are prone to lighter fare. Ask ahead if you're not sure whether the group's for you. I tried two others before settling on the third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm over in College Park. I'd be happy to see such a group spring up, but as David notes the area is filled with gamers and I always have plenty of opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out the GCOM location near Parkeville MD, near Towson in North Baltimore. The one time I went there were war games being played. I got the impression that wargames were a regular thing.

I played with the Germantown/Damascus/Middletown GCOM groups for two years and loved every bit of it. They play everything from lighter to heavier euros. I played many games of Power Grid and Age of Steam with them. Some are very strong opponents, but all are very nice. Even when I moved to Baltimore, I made the weekly and sometimes biweekly trip out there to play with them (approx 60min drive).

I also played a good variety of games at the two yearly GCOM cons, both are highly recommended as far as lots of good gaming and laid back atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed many gamers here, but access can be a problem for the car-less amongst us. I, too, would love to see a Metro-accessible group spring up. Maybe even one that meets IN the district! I tentatively offer my place (three blocks from Dupont Circle Metro) as a potential meeting ground.

Dream Wizards is not exactly accessible, though I do walk there from the Metro regularly. Definitely worth it on occasion, but I would love something closer in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, DC Game Night pretty much only meets at metro accessible locations, and almost always in the district (we tend to have some weekend game nights at my place in Silver Spring or other places. We play weekly (or more) and play whatever people bring. Check us out at:

www.dcgamenight.org
and
http://community.livejournal.com/dcgamenight/

Our next game night is Tuesday, June 2 at DC Bread and Brew in Dupont (20th and N):

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94707914466
http://community.livejournal.com/dcgamenight/102098.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hey Dorian I live in Rockville and am very interested in a game group. I'll try to send you an email..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DorianGray wrote:
The Games Club of Maryland is a let-down for anyone interested in anything more complex than Apples to Apples, Munchkin, and the occasional game of Puerto Rico.

Every GCOM event I've been to has been hard and crunchy. Other groups may vary, but GCOM represents gamers of all skill levels and types, and there are MANY heavy/euro gamers in the club, which has included many of their conventions and 2-3 regular groups.

Quote:
Dream Wizards always have open tables for gaming so that would be a great place to meet.

I was going to recommend starting at DW and GCOM, but you've already done your homework.

I'd encourage you continue to make contacts via GCOM instead of potentially shutting off a very large and helpful resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm moving to Gaithersburg in two weeks, and - depending on my schedule - may be able to get into some ftf.

I'm currently playing Conflict of Heroes, The Burning Blue, Wooden Ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, at DCGN, we play whatever people bring. Not everyone is as into the heavier games, but myself and others I have talked to would definitely be down for a heavier Euro game. But aside from that, I'd be interested in trying some of these, so let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Silverthorn
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in joining a group. DC might be okay; it would depend heavily on where/when the meetups took place. I live in Gaithersburg, so the Rockville area is much more accessible for me.

As for games, I have Dominion, Pandemic, Tigris & Euphrates, Carcassonne, Acquire, and Settlers of Catan with 6-player expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to do some weeknight gaming, heavy or light, though I'm not much for wargames. I'm within walking distance of Dream Wizards, so that would be an ideal spot for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.