Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=572

I have begun to feel optimistic about this game. The character attributes are linked to card management as in Battlestar Galactica, where it worked perfectly. This is too early to say, but are we witnessing a birth of a winning formula for asymmetric character power mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having an 'asymmetric character power mechanics'. It spices up the game while adding a lot to replayability.

When they refer to character's movement, it seems to me that this cannot be accomplished using the whole map of Middle-Earth.
Will there be any zoom-in additional game board/s to handle combat tactics?

The contents of the box:
•1 Rulebook
•1 Large Game Board (in two parts) 28.25" x 41" when put together
•5 Plastic Hero Figures
•5 Plastic Minion Figures
•Over 225 tokens
•More than 470 cards
•5 Hero Sheets and 8 Plastic Stands

So probably I can auto-answer myself: no. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhi Stormbringer
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the look of it, it's going to be runebound style movement and fighting/encounters by the look of it.. But with cards handling combat rather than dice.
although I've been known to be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first preview was cool. This one was fantastic. The fact that they are going beyond the scope of what's described in Tolkien's books by inventing (albeit reasonable) characters like Thain, Eometh, the Black Serpent, etc. is a great idea. That, and the time period of this game are hopefully going to allow for some fun explorations of the the "what-ifs" and undiscovered lands of Middle Earth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
The combat cards remind me of Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Except that in this game there are absolutely no dice involved. The final resolve is dependent on players' choice, not on roll of a dice. (This doesn't mean there's no luck involved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eikka wrote:
Except that in this game there are absolutely no dice involved. The final resolve is dependent on players' choice, not on roll of a dice.

How do you know that? Just because there are no dice listed as game components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
eikka wrote:
Except that in this game there are absolutely no dice involved. The final resolve is dependent on players' choice, not on roll of a dice.(I edited this afterwards: This doesn't mean there's no luck involved)

How do you know that? Just because there are no dice listed as game components?

I don't. I assume that the conflict resolve involves players selecting cards from their hands, which will determine the outcome of the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:

I hope there's more to this game than fighting.

Yeah, like farming!! Middle Earth farming!!! That would ROCK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should have rival hobbit gangs pushing pipe-weed across Middle Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
I think it should have rival hobbit gangs pushing pipe-weed across Middle Earth.

I am sure next preview will reveal the pipe-weed shipping game for you. My bet is that you need to establish plantations and office buildings as well as to 'recruit' controversial green resources to handle the jobs on the fields and in the offices. You need to select roles from pumpkin carver to riverferry captain in order to maximize your shipping profits over the other hobbitses. 'Smeagolite' role will be available to allow you to pick up golden rings instead of doing productive work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
I'm excited to see what they go for.

Cards determine what dice you roll
Cards modify your dice rolls
Cards have values (either numbers or rock-paper-scissors); no dice

I'm hoping for the latter. It would be a more novel mechanic, and feels (erroneously) less luck-based, which is somehow classier considering it's Middle-Earth. This game needs to feel more Euro than it's more cartoonish peers (World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game, Runebound (Second Edition)). Leaving out dice would make the players feel more in control, and more like it's a mental game than a dice fest.

Personally I love the dice, and can see there's not much difference between rolling dice and using a 'dice deck', but the latter feels more suitable in this case. We'll see!

Yes, I'd rather lose by playing a '1' than by throwing a '1' when using a character skill.

I don't know if you know this but in Galactica the process is following: skill values determine how many cards you pick to your hand from skill decks (skill cards contain values with some distribution). Resolving conflicts is based on crisis cards that determine the level which you have to exceed numerically by playing the skill cards that are shown in the crisis description. Cards are played face down and if you play other than the marked cards, they affect negatively to the outcome. This way you may attempt to sabotage the crisis resolution if you are a cylon spy instead of a human. I really like how this mechanic is bound thematically and how the outcome is based on what you play from your hand instead of a dice roll.

I just wish this idea has been the basis in Middle Earth Quest and Corey & co. have found similarly interesting, theme-driven ways to bring the same mechanisms to the Middle Earth realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eikka wrote:
ScottB wrote:

I am sure next preview will reveal the pipe-weed shipping game for you. My bet is that you need to establish plantations and office buildings as well as to 'recruit' controversial green resources to handle the jobs on the fields and in the offices. You need to select roles from pumpkin carver to riverferry captain in order to maximize your shipping profits over the other hobbitses. 'Smeagolite' role will be available to allow you to pick up golden rings instead of doing productive work.

I was thinking something a bit more Quentin Tarantino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:

I hope there's more to this game than fighting.

I agree. I hope it's more "quest" than "combat"-oriented. I want to have to explore Mid-Earth, seek out people, uncover plots, etc. Seems so far like this is the intent of the game (to have a quest, vice simply fighting bad guys). Looking forward to seeing some previews of the rules (specifically, the objectives and end-state of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.