Subject: Daggers vs. Knuckles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I've missed something you get to choose which weapon you want at the beginning of the game, correct? For the most part this is balanced, but Pair of Daggers and Iron Knuckles both have the exact same ability, but the knuckles get a bonus to hit unlike the daggers. This makes Iron Knuckles strictly better than Pair of Daggers when starting the game, though it has no bearing on what you find later in the dungeon.

Is there any particular reason this was done or is it just an oversight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thieves can't use Iron Knuckles.

Well, I guess they can, if they tweak out their Str, but a starting thief probably won't be able to.

One of the things I am considering on the new version is limiting starting equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I would miss something like that. Makes perfect sense now.

What were you thinking of limiting? Now that I see how that 'issue' resolved itself, it's all looking extremely well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like the same kind of issue with the Battle Axe for the Warrior. As long as you spend your starting stats on Strength why start with anything else? Personally, I've limited starting weapons to the Dagger, Sword, Bow, and Staff (Wand). This way you have to search for the better weapons and I think you have a better challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Battle Axe is two handed. While you can't start with a shield the probability of you finding one is greater than that of a one-handed weapon. Armor is more important than damage here, if the enemies can't touch you it's merely a matter of rolling until they die (Or just kill them automatically if it's a guarantee).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the Armor had a A value that only lasted for the battle? So an armor with A6 could take 6 hits then be useless for the rest of the battle. Or maybe if all armor had an HP value, and once that's gone, the armor is destroyed?
Just some thoughts. Don't know how it would play out in the real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.