Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower Podcast is happy to announce the nominations for the 2008 Dice Tower Gaming Awards.

A committee of over fifteen Dice Tower staff and other podcasters and bloggers have chosen the best five games in eight different categories.

One of the goals of these awards is to recognize the "gem in the rough", a game that may not get the press others do. The SMALL PUBLISHER award recognizes the best games from any publisher with five or fewer published games.

To promote a constant influx of new ideas into the industry, the NEW DESIGNER award is presented to the best designer with their first or second published game.

BEST REPRINT will go the company who has reprinted an older game with the best updated rules and/or components.

The MOST INNOVATIVE award goes to the tabletop game that has a fresh, interesting mechanic driving the game. It is a game that will likely have future effects in the industry.

The BEST EXPANSION award is given to the add-on to a game that increases variety, fun, and more strategic options. This is one expansion that owners of the original game should rush to buy.

BEST ARTWORK will go to the artist and game which have best brought the theme to life - via the box and components.

The BEST FAMILY GAME is the one game that can best be used to introduce new folks into the gaming hobby. It is a game with a low barrier to entry, but emphasizes fun and easy strategies. It is not necessarily the most strategic, but emphasizes a game that is fun for the entire family. Game components are of a high quality, and the game should appeal to a wide range of ages.

The BEST GAME OF THE YEAR award goes to a game that is the "cream of the crop", the one game which a sense defines the year in gaming.

This is a combined result of the games' physical presentation, strategic choices, and most of all - a sense of fun.

The full list of the nominations can be found at the Dice Tower website.

http://www.thedicetower.com/thedicetower/index.php/dice_towe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the committee of course, but I am really proud of these shortlists. At the close of 2008, I was thinking the year hadn't been as good as some in the past. But the nominated games list was long and full of great games. The shortlists are too!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think this list is excellent. The innovation catagory is expeacially hard to pick. Each one I shows an incredible amount of innovation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
What? I can't believe you didn't put Hold the Line on there--a reprint with superlative upgrades from the original Clash for a Continent (and I know Tom liked Clash). Or did the game have to change publishers to qualify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle wrote:
What? I can't believe you didn't put Hold the Line on there--a reprint with superlative upgrades from the original Clash for a Continent (and I know Tom liked Clash). Or did the game have to change publishers to qualify?

We were going to have a wargame category Guy, and Hold the Line was on that nominationn list, but ultimately we felt that we couldn't do the category justice, as there were only a handfull of us on the panel who had exprience with wargames (Mike Z and a few others). If we ran a category like that we really wanted to make sure it would be something wargamers would appreciate!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:

BEST ARTWORK will go to the artist and game which have best brought the theme to life - via the box and components..

http://www.thedicetower.com/thedicetower/index.php/dice_towe...

Great selections. In the category Best Artwork it'd be nice if you'd list the garroted artists (where credited) that were as integral in creating the winning concept as the publisher/designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.