Subject: Expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted this because I have the out-of-print Avalon Hill game, however, when I saw Boulder Games discounted price of $70 - $75, (I assume the retail price is around $90), it's still out of my price range for what you get. I am trying to justify in getting this, but I'm still balking at the price. Can anyone out there help me in justifying the cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy from Boulder but haven't played with it yet ... I am impressed with the layout and the writing.

It's a beautiful package, plenty of interior color, lots of scenarios, awesome maps. Yes, it is expensive, but not when compared to other small press ASL products. If you play ASL and the subject interests you, get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is expensive - but then that is inevitable for a well produced niche product. I would stress that this is very well produced - the card stock for the scenario cards is good and they are in colour. You get a full sheet of counters - better quality than the MMP ones although the commando artwork could have been a little better (the boats are fine. The map is very well done and there are additional scenarios to the St Nazaire ones to utilize the MGB rules. A second destroyer counter would have been nice to try a variant for the main raid which the actual planners considered, i.e. sending two destroyers in, the second for fire support and evac.

Justifying buying it - well, one day you'll be dead and you won't have the choice anymore - so if you are into ASL and have an interest in Operation Chariot and can afford it you will eventually weaken so may as well get it now. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GOT IT! The quality and in-depth research on the subject is worth every penny. Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the ASL rule book do you need anything more to play i.e. is it stand alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:
Other than the ASL rule book do you need anything more to play i.e. is it stand alone?

Counters. It doesn't contain everything you need. I don't know the specifics though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info - appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jones
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates as far as what modules are required to play this expansion? Are all the British included? I assume one would need the Germans from Beyond Valor. But I don't have any British OOB so that could possibly stop me from purchasing this pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.