Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
In high school, I was enrolled in a small art class. This was a special class just for seniors who had taken art continuously the previous three years. During our last semester, we had to select a theme for our senior thesis and present it in a variety of media. My theme was dice. I brought my dice bag to school and made a number of different drawings, paintings and a sculpture. At the end of the school year, the entire class' work was displayed at a local gallery. During our recent move, I was able to uncover the two largest paintings. I thought I would share them with everybody before they go back into storage.

This first is a watercolor of a few of my d10s & 20s. This is 16.5" x 21.5". I've always liked the contrast of the purple die against the yellow counter top.

The second one is my largest painting ever. It is oil on canvas, measuring 36" x 44". The title is "dice city". I stacked a bunch of dice by the window and took a photo. We had to do everything for this project by hand. First I assembled the underlying frame-work. I stretched the canvas over this and applied a gesso base. The photo was converted into a slide, which was projected onto the canvas. This allowed me to outline everything in pencil. The oils were then applied. After drying, a wood frame was cut, stained and assembled. It took several weeks for this project to be completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really nice Ernie!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
How cool! I especially like the first one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, and for the most part you stayed within the lines. Very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you said the second painting was from a photo, how did you get the two d6 to balance on top of the d4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
Since you said the second painting was from a photo, how did you get the two d6 to balance on top of the d4?

That d4 had flat corners instead of points, like in this image. The d6s were just tiny 5mms, sitting on a flat surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something very similar in ink as the first example. The idea of the project was to pick a theme and you had to draw the objects frome extremely up close to distance. Also it had to be shaded with ink (ie dots).

I got ok marks, I didn't have as much extremes as the teacher was looking for. If i can find a copy of it and post it here, I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the second one I great painting for a game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.