Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cross
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game on a whim because it was $5 and had neat custom dice. It's cute but there's no real game in here in my opinion.

Say Cheese is a game for 2-4 players aged 6 and up. You get 25 cards that are split in half vertically to show two different character pictures. You also get 8 neat custom dice. Each die has 5 of the 10 characters and a wild star symbol.

In the game you simply shuffle the cards, give each person two dice (one of each set of 5 characters), flip over the top two cards and start rolling. If you match the two characters on one of the cards you say "Cheese!" (which you may already in fact be saying). You take the card and flip over a new card from the deck. Wild symbols are... well wild, and if you get two wild symbols you get both face up cards instead of just one. Yea! You cannot freeze any of the two dice and must roll them until you get a match on a single roll. When the cards are gone the person with the most cards wins. That's it!

So this game is basically a speed and recognition game. The faster you can roll the dice and match against the cards the more cards you will get. This seems like it would be an OK diversion or good to play with kids but really it's only good for kids to play with each other. My 6 year old who is very good at both speed/puzzle games and simple euro's simply can't roll the dice, match the cards, and say "Cheese!" fast enough to compete with any adult. He and his 7 and 8 year old cousins are at a level where the game is more competitive but then I find that the older kids are bored by the exercise. So really this game is better for younger kids and so far as I have experienced younger kids aren't very good at it. To be fair it says on the box "Kid's Learn Hand-Eye Coordination, Visual Discrimination" so perhaps the idea is to play this game a lot to improve those skills. Personally I think there are better games for this and even video games might be preferrable.

So in the end the game just isn't FUN ENOUGH. I like the components a lot. Maybe someone can come up with a new game to play with them. For now if you want a Gamewright game with cool custom dice and that is a bit more fun to play I recommend Go Nuts! which is similar only in so much as it has cool custom dice.

This game gets a 6 for components and a 3 for game play from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.