United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090527/wl_time/08599190095800

Quote:
Last year, Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, suggested that the most useful step ordinary citizens could take to help combat climate change would be to stop eating meat...

Great. Now I have to be a vegan AND have a white roof to prove my love for our planet.

What the hell. What..the..hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
How about vegetarian and a light-gray roof? You don't need to change everything at once you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst HEROES tagline EVAH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, one more thing for vegetarians to hold their noses up over....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikoyan wrote:
Great, one more thing for vegetarians to hold their noses up over....

To be honest, vegans have been using the environmental angle on environmentalists for years. I'm not one to throw Green's under the bus, but it is easy to make them squirm when you go after something as fundamental as their diet. It's easy to switch lightbulbs, but not so easy to make a far reaching lifestyle choice like going veg. I consider myself a Green person myself, so my vegan lifestyle complements that way of life nicely. (with nose pointing firmly towards sky),
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be better if I KILLED the cow and ate him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it wasn't replaced with a new calf to waste resources on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be better to reduce the population of the Earth so that we use less resources total?

Save a cow, eat a person!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to reduce the population of the Earth so that we use less resources total?

Save a cow, eat a person!

"If we aren't supposed to eat humans, then why are they made of meat?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my White Castle way too much to ever give up meat, but what about this doesn't make sense?

Agriculture has an effect on the environment. If you're using the products created through agriculture to feed humans directly, the effect is minimized. If you're using those products to sustain animals for food, that's an additional level of waste, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we truly wanted to eliminate waste, we'd get rid of all things that are non-essential. That would mean no more alcohol, no more cigarettes, no more twinkies, etc etc etc. It's all about deciding how much waste we're willing to put up with to have the things we want.

And I want a hamburger. As do millions of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
If we truly wanted to eliminate waste, we'd get rid of all things that are non-essential. That would mean no more alcohol, no more cigarettes, no more twinkies, etc etc etc. It's all about deciding how much waste we're willing to put up with to have the things we want.

And I want a hamburger. As do millions of others.

You are assuming that a rational decision is being made. Most people don't make consumption decisions based on consequences. Most people don't even know the consequences. Other people who do know the consequences could care less. If slavery was still legal, there would be people who would buy cotton clothing from Walmart without a second thought for the sole reason that it is cheaper when produced by slaves. We already see it with sweat shops, the majority of people do not seek out non-sweat shop clothing as it is more expensive.

Just because you WANT to consume something, doesn't mean you have the right to inflict negative consequences on others to get it. I might want to burn piles of my own excrement in my backyard to save money on my sewer bill, but I don't have the right to inflict the odor and smoke on my neighbors.

If eating burgers gives you heart disease and strips 10-20 years off your lifespan, that is fine with me. It's a decision that only affects you, and maybe your family as they have to live through the pain of losing you earlier than they should have. But when that decision affects people in general, environmentally and health cost wise, then I might make some other constructive suggestions in order to minimize the negative impact you are having on society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm doing my part by not having kids. I figure that earns me a burger. The exploding population is really the source of this problem anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Hey, I'm doing my part by not having kids. I figure that earns me a burger. The exploding population is really the source of this problem anyway.

I really can't argue with you on that point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.