Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night I played three games of Dominion using Brian's set of chips, which include the Masquerade, Ironworks, and Duke. I focused a lot on the Masquerade, and I have the following insights on it:

1. It's really not an attack. Having to pass a card almost never hurt anyone. In the second game the Chapel was available and I did make the Chapel deck players nervous, but it never actually hurt them very much. The worst was when the player to my right had to hand me a Cellar or when I had to hand off a Silver (thanks to another player's Masquerade). Those both happened late game and didn't hurt either of us very much.

2. Playing two of them is not dangerous. See above. These were three-player games, and several times I pulled a Festival/Masquerade/Masquerade combo, but the players to my right were simply able to continue passing the cards they had been passed.

3. It is all about early deck thinning plus drawing cards. The first game there was no Chapel, but I was still cleanly able to get rid of all of my Estates and several Coppers early. Being able to draw before passing makes it much more likely that you'll get rid of trash. The trash pile got bigger than it often does in Chapel games.

4. It is not nearly as useful later in the game. In retrospect, this should have been obvious. This makes it very unusual in that it's a card that lets you draw cards, but it becomes less useful later because you don't have anything in your hand that you're willing to pass. I could have played it on one turn and still had an action left (Festival/Market/Masquerade), but all that remained in my hand were Gold and Provinces, and sure enough, after my turn was over I drew nothing but Festivals, Gold, and Provinces, meaning I would have had to pass one of them.

All in all I found it to be a fun card to play. I got two of them early and then stocked up on Festivals both games, and that worked quite well. I lost both my games anyway, but that's to be expected when trying something new I suppose. I look forward to discovering all the best ways of using this card, and now I especially can't wait to get Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the masquerade with a militia or bureaucrat? It seems that's when it will get quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Have you tried the masquerade with a militia or bureaucrat? It seems that's when it will get quite useful.

The opportunity did not arise, but you're right, you can probably get some attack power out of it if combined with Militia or (less so) Bureaucrat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masquerade feels different when played with only cards from Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

This is what I can't wait for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

It's still the lowest priority card on the board for me regardless of the set being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You bring up a good point about Masquerade becoming weaker as the game goes on, but what about the possibility of using it late game against a Garden deck? Whenever I play Gardens I often get hands that are all green, especially when the game is winding down. Having to pass an estate away is a two-point swing for the person playing the Masquerade. In a close game it could make all the difference.

I don't know how feasible this would be though. More often a Garden player would probably have copper in their hand and that's what they'd pass away to you.

I'll probably give it a try as soon as the game comes out. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it would also be a good way of getting rid of curses, since you would also be giving them to someone else -- also a two-point swing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Masquerade particularly useful in one game. I forget the name of the card (I think it might have been Torturer?) in the Intrigue set, but it forces players to either discard down to 3 card or take a curse into your hand. Whenever I had a Masquerade, I simply took the curse and passed it to my left with the Masquerade on my turn. Worked pretty slick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Yackel
United States
Vadnais Heights
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I found Masquerade particularly useful in one game. I forget the name of the card (I think it might have been Torturer?) in the Intrigue set, but it forces players to either discard down to 3 card or take a curse into your hand. Whenever I had a Masquerade, I simply took the curse and passed it to my left with the Masquerade on my turn. Worked pretty slick!

that sounds great! can you let us know what the action is for that card (unless the attack is it's only benefit) and its cost? thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Can't torture the baller eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.