Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$75

I'm a wargamer, so I'm used to high prices for paper and cardboard, but the Decision Games price for RAF:LvE struck me as a bit steep. Here is a comparison:

GMT's list price for Command and Colors: Ancients is $65, and you get:
- 345 wooden blocks and labels
- one paper map with cardboard overlays
- one rules booklet
- 60 cards
- 2 player aid cards
- 7 crappy plastic dice.

Decision Games' list price for RAF:LvE is $75, and gets you:
- 176 cardboard counters
- 2 maps (printed "back to back" - one page printed on each side?)
- player aid cards and planning board
- 165 cards
- 3 rules booklets and historical booklet
- 2 dice.

I know that people are going to jump all over this comparison, but I use C&C:A because it is a block game and is often considered a "high end" presentation as far as wargames go. Still, $75 for RAF struck me as high, and certainly more than the $50-$60 mark that seems to be closer to the norm for so many wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, for me this price is fine. I've played the original many times over the years and certainly got my money's worth. I know I will get my money's worth with the new addition. I'm a bit biased as I've play tested it extensively. Taking on the RAF as the Germans is basically a 2nd game. The solitaire and 2-player games are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of you. I will absolutely get my moneys worth. And yes, the components do not justify $75.

I would have paid $125 if necessary as RAF is a favorite game and is my very favorite solitaire game.

So yes it is overpriced but it is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have wanted the original RAF ever since I discovered BGG seven years ago. I don't know how many times I have been outbid on e-bay, I was about to consign this game to the "Love to own but Impossible to Find" category so I consider $75 for a reprint very reasonable. You should be able to find this game in most online retail shops for $55 once it is released, a price I am more than happy to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing I would point out is that C&C:A does not contain solo play. Also, I'm guessing that play as the British or Germans will be quite different. Yes, there are differences between the two sides for C&C:A but in reality there isn't that much difference. However, C&C:A certainly has many many different scenarios with more coming out all the time.

For me both games are worth it and I plan to enjoy both for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
- 2 maps (printed "back to back" - one page printed on each side?)

Finally there are two separate maps in the set: one for Lion and 2-player game and the second for Eagle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're seeing a running theme to the replies...the $75 price tag is all relative to the VALUE people place to games. Like others, I have eagerly awaited this game and can't tell you how many hours I spent playing the original from West End Games. My local game store here in Houston has games that are consistently in the $60-$100 range and so at $75, this is not out of the ordinary.

Having said that, I own about 40 games and if I had to make a cost comparison based on the production value of this game versus the others I have, I would have placed this game in the $40-$50 range. But I was willing to play the extra $25 for a game I KNOW is going to get a lot of play time!

Now go out there and get it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
The big difference between the two games and price and components is the cards. 165 vs 60. Cards are very expensive to produce. Those and the counters are the costliest items in a game. Wooden blocks are actually relatively cheap.

Joe Youst-the graphic designer for the cards, counters and maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought Hammer gives a straight 30% discount on Decision Games.

CoolStuffInc gives a 30-35% discount range on Decision Games.

Wargame Depot around 30% on Decision Games.

Boulder Games in the 30-35% discount range on Decision Games.

And your getting three games/versions in the box:
-- RAF The Battle of Britain, 1940: Lion (British solitaire)
-- RAF The Battle of Britain, 1940: Eagle (German solitaire)
-- RAF The Battle of Britain, 1940: Lion vs. Eagle (two player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered it and I try to buy games at places where I can get them for less than retail. I had RAF before and knew it was a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The big difference between the two games and price and components is the cards. 165 vs 60. Cards are very expensive to produce. Those and the counters are the costliest items in a game. Wooden blocks are actually relatively cheap.

That's interesting, I had no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like only Decision Games is offering RAF...hopefully I can get it somewhere else cheaper...(don't like the DG ordering page). I gonna get this game, I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(don't like the DG ordering page)

That's an understatement. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do, and I ran out of time trying to pre-order (work called).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenrick822 wrote:

I posted this on CSW - but this is what this game cost me - needless to say the last game I pre-order from USA ever !

Here is my break down of charges:

£72.00 for the game and shipping

Customs charge total £23.32:-

£13.50 Parcel Force administration fee for the customs charge and

the balance £9.82 was VAT charge - so in fact the administration charge was higher than than the actual VAT !

so, at today's exchange rate it is approx $152.00 in total ....

I pre-ordered this as well and will be picking it up from the Parcel Force office on Monday, but ouch!

I had merrilly been ignoring this and like you say I shan't be doing that again in a hurry ... saying that though, I have Sekighara on pre-order too shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was checking all of the usual U.S. online retailers, and none of them had RAF:LvE listed as a pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Coccio
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried ThoughtHammer ? I've pre-ordered a copy from them.

~Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was checking all of the usual U.S. online retailers, and none of them had RAF:LvE listed as a pre-order.

Hi Mike,

While we have not listed it as a pre-order, we do have it on order with our distributor and will have it in stock just a couple of days after they get it from Decision Games.

It should be very soon!

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.