Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
For the following game, El Presidente:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38767

The game has come out semi-regularly, with half a dozen plays this year (often when I'm not around :( )... it would come out more often but its a tad long, as the more players there are the longer the game seems to go. 9 player games can take 3 hours with new players in the mix. This is much longer than what I intended for merely a filler game, but others don't think its a problem because they enjoy it and everyone can play at once.

Would anyone like to help me by offering suggestions on how to make the game shorter without compromising the gameplay? I'm kind of a bit stumped really... I've gotten it to a point where its fun, but slightly too long for my taste.

On a side note, the most effective tactic so far as El Presidente seems to be being fair and equitable, and giving out a lot of money.... who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Figure a way to shorten the actual coup?
That's what is needed in Junta, a cousin of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would anyone like to help me by offering suggestions on how to make the game shorter without compromising the gameplay?

You already have an event card deck.

Create one card that reads "United Nations Human Rights Investigation" or something like that. Place this card on the bottom of your event card deck. As the cards are drawn during the game the U.N. card will rise to the top of the deck. When this card appears El Presidente escapes to Zurich with the $$$$ and the game is over.

This is a technique I use in my Protector of the Empire civilization game which was stolen from inspired by a vintage game called Emperor of China.

My game starts around 200 CE and usually ends in the 1500s when the "Europeans Arrive" event card appears.

In the other game a card reading "Mandate of Heaven" allowed one player to claim the title and ended the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Figure a way to shorten the actual coup?
That's what is needed in Junta, a cousin of this game.

The coup is actually pretty quick and painless, people just decide who to vote for with their armies, it only takes a few minutes.... each players turn also only takes a few minutes, but it just all adds up with 9 players.

I like the idea of having a card that ends the game when it comes out, but unfortunately it wouldn't work well in this situation because the current victory condition is to get to 7 armies, and the players fight over how many armies they have, often leading to multiple players poised for victory with the same number of armies. Thus this solution would result in a large number of ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the current victory condition is to get to 7 armies, and the players fight over how many armies they have

Fine idea!

Why not use both game-ending mechanics.

Allow the players to squabble among themselves while the U.N. card moves up through the deck. If somebody wins before the card appears, great. If not, they brought victory or defeat on themselves by not forcing a decisive confrontation.

Games with multiple paths to victory are almost always more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah that would work, but how do I resolve ties between players? there are often half a dozen people with the same number of armies... would a tie be acceptable in this scenario do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
would a tie be acceptable in this scenario do you think?

"A tie is like kissing your sister."

Good point! You'll need a tie-breaker...

Cash on hand?

Number of henchmen available for the coming showdown?

Hotness of voluptuous Latina mistress?

One cabinet minister has a body double ready to take over for the recently departed leader? (As in Moon Over Parador)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
[q="pete belli
One cabinet minister has a body double ready to take over for the recently departed leader? (As in Moon Over Parador)[/q]

Haha i like that idea...but i think the best decider is money. After all they are going to flee the country with their ill-gotten gains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
evil lincoln wrote:
[q="pete belli
One cabinet minister has a body double ready to take over for the recently departed leader? (As in Moon Over Parador)

Haha i like that idea...but i think the best decider is money. After all they are going to flee the country with their ill-gotten gains[/q]

I feel i messed that up... anyway i will try it next time we play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I feel i messed that up... anyway i will try it next time we play

Good Luck with the game, and please keep us informed here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.