BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Columbia Block Game Recommendation Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am looking for another Columbia block game. Generally, I like games about 18th and 19th century warfare. Although, I do own EF, WF, EuF, and Europe Engulfed. I was thinking about Rommel in the Desert, but I didn't know if anyone had any other recommendations.

The other ones I am thinking about are

Texas Glory
Napoleon
Quebec 1759
War of 1812
Liberty: American Revolution
Pacific Victory
Gettysburg:Badges of Courage

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this helps, the easiest of the Columbia Games are:

Napoleon
Quebec 1759
War of 1812

These are somewhat more complex:
Liberty: American Revolution
Pacific Victory
Texas Glory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rommel is a wicked-cool game. A bit more complex than those you have listed. Supply rules, and understanding when your dudes have had their supply cut, are very important. Also, there is quite a bit of bluff in the game, as you can never tell how many of that fistful of cards your opponent is holding are actually supply cards and not dummies.

Napoleon is pretty good as well.
Quebec and 1812 are super-light
Pacific Victory is a bit whacky, and allegedly the victory conditions are pretty much broken. I'd splurge for Asia Engulfed if I wanted blocks and the PTO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm going to suggest with this NOT in 'line' with what you requested, yet it were within the same "vein" as another that has been suggested. The Vicksburg Campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't much care for Rommel in the Desert. The game is almost entirely based around cutting supply lines - combat is nearly an irrelevance. Given the limited nature of maneuver in the game (it's all about moving up and down the coast road) I found I spent most of the game calculating where my and my opponents' supply lines could go.

Pacific Victory is a rather better game than people give it credit for. It's fairly simple given the scale of what it's attempting to cover and comes with multiple scenarios, including a 3-player one in which the American force is split between two players who work as a team. The victory conditions as published are screwed (the Japanese basically cannot win) but there are a number of fan-made victory condition changes on the forums which seems to fix the problem. Certainly not 18th century rifle warfare though!

If you're interested in the Napoleon game, give some thought to picking up the older AH version. Some people think it superior - it has less blocks and so plays faster and has another unit type, horse artillery, which adds to the tactics. It can also be had very cheaply from EBay. Again there are balance issues with both editions - it's biased against the French - although if you ask me that's part and parcel of a historical game, and it's not as one-sided as Pacific Victory. But again there are fan variants which offer better balance. It also supports three players, with the Allied force being split between English and Prussian generals and playing as a team.

I haven't played any of the other games you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not from Columbia, but if you like the 18th century, how about Prussia's Defiant Stand? (I have not played this so can't vouch for its game play, but it sure looks good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rommel in the Desert is super-bad-ass, although what I like about it is what the sadly misguided MattDP doesn't like ("the game is almost entirely based around cutting supply lines - combat is nearly an irrelevance").

Of the other games in your list, I've played Napoleon, Quebec 1759, Liberty (err, half a game), and Pacific Victory; of those, I would think Napoleon is closest to what you want, and it has several interesting & unusual rules (like morale checks for engaged 1-strength units, and the way battles are reinforced by nearby units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Rommel in the Desert is super-bad-ass, although what I like about it is what the sadly misguided MattDP doesn't like ("the game is almost entirely based around cutting supply lines - combat is nearly an irrelevance").

Well, it was you who taught it to me, and you tried hard to light that touch paper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well if you're a E-W-Eu-front fan then I think you shouldn't take Liberty, Quebec or 1812, as they could turn to be "too easy" strategical blockgames (the same for Wothington Prussia Defiant Stand - a game I really love - which mattewran suggested: but its materials are defentely better than what CG provides).
Maybe Gettysburg BoC could be a good choice, as you could switch your previous blockexperience to operative/tactical level.

ps. everytime I think of Gettysburg I just start complaining about CG leaving that Napoleonic variant they were planning...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the front games and 19th century warfare, you might also consider Bobby Lee as a strategic treatment of the ACW that uses HQ activation. BL also has battleboards similar to Napoleon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I will have to decide between these three:

Rommel in the Desert
Napoleon

If only I had enough money for a 3 game bundle....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just learning how to play Gettysburg Badges of Courage, and so far I like it and the game is fairly easy to learn how to play. (first block game for me except Stratego ) One thing really neat about it is (may sound silly) the blocks have photos of the main characters on them for Corps leaders. I like how the supply works in the game as well. Checkout this nicely written review if your still unsure.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/256522

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three I would say Napoleon would be the lightest by far.

If you don't mind looking outside Columbia Games (and would consider a ACW game) then Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign looks interesting. I've bought it because it was on sale but not played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be my recommendation:

1-Register with Columbia as you get 10% discount in the month of your Birthday
2-go for the 3 games Bundle (Badges of Courage is already 80 US$), borrow money from your neighbour and invite him for a gaming session.
3-order Bundle, my choices would be:

1) Gettysburg: Badges of Courage - great ACW tacticle. Great
2) Pacific Victory - Strategic
3) Rommel in the Dessert - mind you, this is very different than EuroFront and one of their more complex games. Not suitable for solitairy play due to supply cards.

As for the other games:
-Liberty: great game, could be in as well.
-1812, Napoleon, Quebec: might be too easy for your tastes.
-Hammer of the Scots & Crusader Rex: you must love the theme's to like.
-Texas Glory: good game but average replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.