Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit cops a flag & retreats, and was the target of the next attacking player's unit, does the next attacking unit miss combat entirely ? This is assuming, of course, that the attacking unit has used up its movement & cannot advance to the retreated unit.
This has happened to us quite alot recently.

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The 2nd attacker may target another enemy unit. You do not declare your target until you are just about ready to toss the dice so you may "change your mind" and attack elsewhere if your primary target retreated out of range or was destroyed.

Anticipating when and where a unit might retreat and positioning your units to take advantage of that, is a key aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that retreating target was the only target available to the second attacking unit, then yeah, tough luck (or poor planning ). Combat order and positioning are keys in C&C games.

(or, what the guy above me said as I dallied with this post )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks gents, good answers, and I'll take the hint & try to improve my strategy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pritchard
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
This is assuming, of course, that the attacking unit has used up its movement & cannot advance to the retreated unit.

Someone correct em if I'm wrong but all movements are done before all attacks (except gaining ground etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kanedacorp wrote:
JBTheChamp wrote:
This is assuming, of course, that the attacking unit has used up its movement & cannot advance to the retreated unit.

Someone correct em if I'm wrong but all movements are done before all attacks (except gaining ground etc.)

All movement occurs before Battles start. However, some units can pursue a retreating unit and battle again. We usually refer to this as "follow on movement" to distinguish it from normal movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Trinket
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there,

I also have a question regarding the "Retreat" action, but my question regards retreating when no other hits are rolled.

I was just wondering if a retreating unit, due to a black flag, gives the attacking unit the opportunity to use "Follow on" actions, even if the attacker did not roll a hit.

For example: the attacker (is mounted) rolls a black flag but no hits. The defender on foot retreats 1 hex. Does this grant the mounted unit the opportunity to follow on with pursuit and a bonus melee attack?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may make the follow on attack. The rule basically states that if the enemy hex becomes vacant for any reason (retreat or elimination), you may advance, and if you have the ability, make a pursuit attack. However, if the unit remains in its hex, you do not have this ability. (If you scored a hit but did not eliminate it or force a retreat, you may not do a follow up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Johnson
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I was about to ask this same question! Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.