Subject: Spending Clue Tokens with a Skill Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I'm new to the world of Arkham Horror, and so far I'm loving it!

I had a scenario recently where I wasn't quite sure how to proceed, and I'm hoping someone can clarify things for me.
Here are the details:

* I was fighting an Ancient One
* I had a +1 Fight skill card
* There were two investigators (one was devoured though)
* I had 3 clue tokens

During my combat check, after all modifiers I rolled 3 dice. I rolled 1 success. I then spent a clue token, but because of my Fight skill card, I got an extra die. At this point, suppose I roll two successes. Does this:

1. count as 3 overall successes, at which point I remove one token and have one success carry over into the next round.
2. count as 2 overall successes, at which point I remove one token and have no carry overs.

My point of confusion lies in how spending a clue token actually works. Does spending a clue token with a +1 Fight skill card (or any skill for that matter):

a) replace a single roll, but you get an "extra try" at it or
b) does the re-roll, courtesy of the skill card, "spawn" another die.

I hope I'm explaining that clearly enough. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Welcome to Arkham!

Spending a Clue token gets you one extra die (it is not a re-roll; it is a new die). So spending a CLue token while you have a skill cards get you two extra dice.

In your example, ou had 1 success from the initial roll of 3 dice. You then spent a Clue token and were given 2 more dice to roll (for a total of 5 all together). You roll those 2 and get 2 more success. You now have a total of 3 successes.

Since it takes 2 successes to remove a doom token, You take away 2 of your successes and a doom token. You now have one success that carries over to the next round. As soon as you get a 2nd success, that will be enough for another doom token to be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick response Brian. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Unsworth
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought you couldn't carry successes over to a new round?

EDIT: okay, I think the original rules are not clear on this point but a specific question in the FAQ makes it clear that successes carry over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Against the Ancient One you can, against normal monsters not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.