Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am attempting to wrap my head around some of the unique rules of this system and have been attempting to play Cowpens, but as Ogilvie's cavalry arrives, some immediate questions arose in their attack on the American skirmish line.

1. Is reaction to movement fire only against units that enter ZOC? My questions arose as cavalry approached the skirmish line, they were in LOS and range and moving, but the rule indicates that a unit can use reaction to movement fire when an enemy enters its ZOC/frontal hexes. So in order to use reaction to movement fire, a unit actually has to be adjacent? Is that correct?

2. Next, the cavalry wanted to charge the skirmish line, so several of the command approached, but did not enter ZOC of the skirmish line, as they have to charge from at least 2 hexes away. I assume that since cavalry do not use formations, as long as they are in command range of their subordinate leader, and they are within the required # of hexes from an enemy unit, they can charge? (the 12.12 rules indicate only those units in a Command Line, but what is a cavalry command line?).

3. So I understand that as the cavalry now charge, the skirmish line can reaction to movement fire during the charge.

4. After the reaction to movement firing, the charge continues, but the Cowpens scenario allows the skirmish line troops to pre-shock flight and regroup. However, what if only one of the skirmish units wants to flee and the other wants to stay (of the two specific units i.e. GA Volunteers)? The Cowpens scenario rules advise that if the skirmish line troops pre-shock flee, they must be placed disordered near Morgan in a non-skirmish formation. Since it takes both skirmish units to reform into the line formation, how does this work if only one of them flees? Or should it be that if one flees, the other has to as well? (ie the SC Volunteers, etc...)

5. If the skirmish line troops pre-shock flee, does the charging cavalry then advance into the vacated hex?

6. If the skirmish line troops pre-shock flee, are the charging cavalry disrupted even though not actual contact was made with enemy?

Thanks for the help. The game is quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes . . .

2. 12.12 applies to Shock, not Charge (which is somewhat different).

3. Yes

4. Hmmmmm . . . I wonder if i should have allowed militia who wish to flee a charge to use Movement fire against the incoming cavalry. I will say here that if a militia unit is going to Flee before a Charge it may not use Movement Fire against the in-charging cavalry.

In answer to the specific question, since you need both units to reform, both would have had to Flee.

5. Yes, and stops.

6. No . . . the auto disorder is from the actual shock. not just the desire to do so.

Hope that helps . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much so!

Thank you for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:

4. Hmmmmm . . . I wonder if i should have allowed militia who wish to flee a charge to use Movement fire against the incoming cavalry. I will say here that if a militia unit is going to Flee before a Charge it may not use Movement Fire against the in-charging cavalry.

In answer to the specific question, since you need both units to reform, both would have had to Flee.

RHB

One more question here.

Couldn't this lead to a gamey situation where the cavalry then only charges 1 of the 2 units? Or could both pre-shock flee if only one of them is being charged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.