Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B4 Peloton Movement

‘All riders in the peloton at the beginning of the movement or riders absorbed by it must pay energy according to table fig 7’

Query: does this mean that a rider absorbed by the peloton has to pay twice in that turn, first for his original move and then for the move the peloton makes to overtake/catch him, even if all the peloton did was end up on his space? Seems harsh but that’s how the rules read to me.

Query: presumably a fallen rider isn’t absorbed into the peloton when it passes him (as I guess it often will?)

C2 Puncture

‘In the following turn the rider will play last’. ‘The rider that has punctured will stay in his place’.

Query: I’m not sure how to interpret this. The closest I can come is that the rider ‘stays in his place’ means the rider does not move on the turn following the puncture. – have I got this right?

Again, presumably a rider with a puncture is not swept up by the passing peloton?

‘The rider in the peloton that has punctured is placed one position behind the peloton’

Query: how can a rider in the peloton receive a puncture – would he not have to have run a risk of some sort to flip a route card, which means he could not be in the peloton?

C4 Energy recovery

Feed Zone: riders passing the feed zone profile card pick up a water bottle card.

Query: How does a rider pass a profile card - I thought thewy rode around the route cards? Are the profile cards placed near the route cards as 'roadside scenery?'? Do they stay 'roadside' indefinitely, or are they removed before the following turn?

Is there a limit to the number of water bottle cards a rider or team can pick up (beyond there only being 6 in the game)?

Winning

Who wins if the peloton ends up first, perhaps sweeping up or catching leading riders on the line? Mutual win for all in the peloton? In my solo run through the peloton came pretty close behind the riders (I didn't play optimally, as all the riders had spare energy cards left over at the end of the race, so maybe this won't happen with players of any experience).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B4 Peleton Movement

Seems harsh but the rules are very specific about it, so yes, you have to pay energy for your own movement AND for the peleton's movement. A similar question was asked in the Leader 1 forums recently (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/409011) where it was suggested that perhaps it represents the rider's demoralisation.

A fallen rider is placed off the track next to where he came off. So the peleton and other riders will sail straight past. Place the rider back on the track next turn.

C2 Puncture

This is probably best understood by reading the Leader 1 rules. The reason for staying in place is that other riders can pass through your space (but not finish movement on your space). You WILL move next turn but AFTER the peleton.

Additionally, in Leader 1, the puncture rules operate slightly differently in that if the die falls on its red face then ALL riders (including those in the peleton) must roll the dice to determine if they've punctured - a roll of 1 indicates this. So its possible for a rider to fall off the back of the peleton due to puncture. I think Ghenos have just forgotten to take this line out of the card game rules, as, like you, I can't see a situation where it could happen.

C4 Energy Recovery

Not sure what you mean about flipping the feed zone route card - these are held to one side not placed in the line of route cards. These cards are claimed when you're in a terrain that has the feed zone icon printed on it. The rules aren't clear as to exactly when you claim it other than at the end of your movement. The feed icon is printed on only two profile cards (both plains) with turn values of 1 and 2. For the latter (2 turn card) I'm not sure whether you claim it on your first turn in the terrain or your second - although I played it as being my second turn. Hope that's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian.

From what you and others have said in the forums, it does seem the rules were converted from the Leader 1 rules rather than written anew. Unfortunately, I haven't seen (let alone played!) leader 1.

batdog wrote:
C2 Puncture

This is probably best understood by reading the Leader 1 rules. The reason for staying in place is that other riders can pass through your space (but not finish movement on your space). You WILL move next turn but AFTER the peleton..

So a puncture just means you move last on the following turn, i.e. no missed turn?

batdog wrote:
C4 Energy Recovery

Not sure what you mean about flipping the feed zone route card - these are held to one side not placed in the line of route cards. These cards are claimed when you're in a terrain that has the feed zone icon printed on it. The rules aren't clear as to exactly when you claim it other than at the end of your movement. The feed icon is printed on only two profile cards (both plains) with turn values of 1 and 2. For the latter (2 turn card) I'm not sure whether you claim it on your first turn in the terrain or your second - although I played it as being my second turn. Hope that's clear.

Yup, when I re-read the rules and checked the cards I'd realised I asked an illogical question. For some reason I imagined the water bottle icon on one of the route cards rather than a profile card - pass the medication, nurse.

I've revised the original post. Like you, I can't see when in the turn the players can claim a water bottle. I think the thing that threw me was the reference to passing a feed zone profile card - without somehow making them part of the route (even if just off to one side) I don't know how this would work.

Similarly, there is a reference under 'E1 Bonus Time' to the first player past the yellow flag profile card gaining a turn in the classification. Moving past that I don't understand what gaining a turn in the classification means either (does it mean they are assumed to have finished a turn agead of everyone else, that they jump a place in the movement order in the following turn, or something else?) it refers to the player first passing the yellow flag card gaining this advantage, again indicating that these profile cards somehow have a place on the track.

For a simple game the rules give me a headache. The good news is that come this weekend I'm off cycling in the Italian lake district for a week with some friends, and I think we'll be playing a few rounds of this over a beer in the evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim

Lets see if I can clear up most of the queries so that it still makes sense after a few beers in Italy.

Yes, the punctured player doesn't miss a turn - the rules specifically state: "In the following turn the player who has punctured will play last, following the peleton (see also the riders left,if there are any)." I think the end of this sentence suggests that you should also wait until the trailing riders have moved as well. The sentence referring to staying in the same place should really have come before this sentence in the rules. Look at the puncture as being a quick fix - the team car is right behind you and sticks on a new wheel. In contrast, when you fall off (or collide with the dog that wandered across the road) you're badly injured, you need checking by the team doctor, etc - so you miss a turn.

When do you claim the bonus energy (and win the bonus sprint)? Yet again using the Leader 1 rules and the concept of passing confuses matters. I don't know when it should happen but it's probably best (as the icons are printed on the right hand side of the profile cards) to assume it takes place during the LAST turn you are in that terrain. For the extra energy the rules state at the end of your movement - this will happen either before or after the peleton has moved, depending on whether your rider is ahead of the peleton or trailing it. For the bonus sprint I would decide it just as the peleton leader card changes hands at the end of the last turn in that terrain - whoever is furthest forward gains the 1 turn.

The way I've interpreted the gaining of turns (either through finishing first, second or getting the bonus sprint) is that this is a way of determining the overall winner over a series of stages. So if after five stages I've had one win, two second places and won a bonus sprint I will have an advantage of 5 turns. I don't use these turns in any way. It just means I'm ahead of someone who has won two stages - they will only have a 4 turn advantage. I guess it's trying to replicate the idea of cyclists having a time advantage over the rest of the field. It may be easier to treat them as points instead of turns.

Enjoy Italy - I'm envious.

Ian

EDIT - just noticed your earlier query about numbers of extra energy cards. I would personally only include one of the profile cards with the waterbottle icons in a game, so 6 cards would be sufficient. Just one extra boost of energy per rider gives a tighter game. Remember you can gain energy by not moving your full base movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.