Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dominion - I Don't Personally Get the Hype, Maybe You Won't Either rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
[Homagaproparody content removed by moderator]
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wondering -- was this a joke or perhaps just a modding test?

I declined it of course since it's basically a copy of another user's review in which you posted comments. Disappointed to see that it got through anyway.

Ah well.
28 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally agree with you on a most of your points. Where I disagree with you is that I think that the game has more strategy and interaction than we think it does, BUT, like you said, its just not interesting or fun enough for me to want to delve into it further. The cards are extremely boring, maybe just a tad more interesting than a pack of playing cards.

What's worst for me is that it cost me $90 here in Australia and I personally feel ripped off! :yuk::(
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sungarden3 wrote:

Just wondering -- was this a joke or perhaps just a modding test?

I declined it of course since it's a copy of someone else's review that you commented in. Disappointed to see that it got through anyway.

Ah well.


It is a homage to Quarashi and how we discussed how even if you change the title, make something only a personal opinion written to help out those who are like minded and then throw out any alternate meanings for words - somebody WILL make sure to nitpick something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing Negative Dominion Reviews - the Most Overhyped Game in Existence
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically a copy of another review. It's over 90% copy and paste. I delcined it as well. An homage follows in the same pattern as the original, not a direct copy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this all just YOUR OPINION? If so, you should say so. I look for cold hard facts in reviews, thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Strope wrote:
It's basically a copy of another review. It's over 90% copy and paste. I delcined it as well. An homage follows in the same pattern as the original, not a direct copy.


Lol. Fine don't nitpick the review, nitpick my use of homage - that works too. I'll just wait and see if makes a negative comment on something that is clearly worded as a personal opinion with no relevance to anybody outside of the reviewer. And besides, Quarashi just got helped out as Jian Wey Chin just agreed with the opinion. Sweet grandma's cookies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strope wrote:
It's basically a copy of another review. It's over 90% copy and paste. I delcined it as well. An homage follows in the same pattern as the original, not a direct copy.


I think this is a parody rather than a tribute (though a peculiar parody in that I think it's parodying in order to take sides WITH the thing parodied). Should have been declined, though it's an elaborate way of making a point. The more negative reviews of Dominion parading by, though, the better, I suppose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
alexd wrote:
Is this all just YOUR OPINION? If so, you should say so. I look for cold hard facts in reviews, thanks.


You look for cold hard facts in a review of a board game? Really? If there were to only be facts, and nothing but facts - no spin what so ever - then this would be your review, which I will gladly post soon after this:

"Dominion is a game that comes in a box. The box contains cards and a plastic card holder. Follow the rules that come with the cards and plastic There will be a winner and a loser unless there is a tie."

Please join us again next week as we look for cold hard facts in a hazelnut spread sandwich!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
alexd wrote:
Strope wrote:
It's basically a copy of another review. It's over 90% copy and paste. I delcined it as well. An homage follows in the same pattern as the original, not a direct copy.


I think this is a parody rather than a tribute (though a peculiar parody in that I think it's parodying in order to take sides WITH the thing parodied). Should have been declined, though it's an elaborate way of making a point. The more negative reviews of Dominion parading by, though, the better, I suppose.


Double-plus-bonus nacho's for you. I guess it really is a parody that is parodying to make the origional look good. It's like a whole new-sub genre of comedy, unless it already exists, then I give credit only to that man, woman or child who invented it.

Viva homagaproparody!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderflex wrote:
alexd wrote:
Is this all just YOUR OPINION? If so, you should say so. I look for cold hard facts in reviews, thanks.


You look for cold hard facts in a review of a board game? Really?


I, too, was joking. Must I use a smiley to show this?

For the record, I thought your adaptation of the original review was funny. I was just staying in that spirit of "you just can't please some people."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
alexd wrote:
wonderflex wrote:
alexd wrote:
Is this all just YOUR OPINION? If so, you should say so. I look for cold hard facts in reviews, thanks.


You look for cold hard facts in a review of a board game? Really?


I, too, was joking. Must I use a smiley to show this?

For the record, I thought your adaptation of the original review was funny. I was just staying in that spirit of "you just can't please some people."


This is the very reason that we need a font type for sarcasm and humor. It's sometimes hard to read. We have bold, underline, italics, strikethrough - now where is the sarcasm!?

Oh and to those who are worried, I will be giving my earned gold monies from this post to Quarashi for his effort after he post on here.

Edit: added monies section
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
Homage: Special honor or respect shown or expressed publicly

Plagiarism: The unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Listen, you ripped off another person's review and you got called on it. Suck it up, apologize, and write your own review. Don't pretend what you wrote was an homage or a parody. Writing a homages and parodies requires WRITING, not copy and pasting another person's work.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
broken clock wrote:
Homage: Special honor or respect shown or expressed publicly

Plagiarism: The unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Listen, you ripped off another person's review and you got called on it. Suck it up, apologize, and write your own review.


Lol. Just like he said in the real post, "Honestly, stop. It is one word. Get over it. It's the title. If the title was "Dominion: The Most Boring Game in existence" you'd find another word to nit pick."

There is no apology for this is a joke, and in my response to it I used the incorrect word - as I admited later - no reason to throw the dictionary at me. The new word is "homagaproparody." I guess I should edit that. I've personally wrote Quarashi to inform him of this, he's getting the gold, and hopefully a laugh too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I think doing it this soon, in the SAME PLACE, when he's already posted his own recent review of the game is not plagiarism by and definition. You might think it's silly or annoying or wrong, but it's not plagiarism, since it's clearly intended to be recognized as a semi-copy of the other work. I'll stand by "parody" though it's not the precise term here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also declined this. Surprised it got through.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
alexd wrote:
Eh, I think doing it this soon, in the SAME PLACE, when he's already posted his own recent review of the game is not plagiarism by and definition. You might think it's silly or annoying or wrong, but it's not plagiarism, since it's clearly intended to be recognized as a semi-copy of the other work. I'll stand by "parody" though it's not the precise term here.


I can agree with this. It's like doing an SNL skit about the presidential debate the Saturaday after the fact. We all still remember it and we get what the they are trying to do. Some stuff they copy word for word, but it's the delivery method that gives it the humor. It's one of those, "I see what you did there," kinda momments.

In fact if they would have copied McCain word for word, but then simply, "my friends" to the end of each sentence it would have possibly been a laugh-riot. Kinda like simply adding, "in my opinion," to help keep things real clear like.

edit: added McCain reference. Why? Return that question with another question: Why not my friends?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
Get Your Finger Out of My Face!! =D
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apud (ap.) ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tistu wrote:
Apud (ap.) ?


yeah, that works too. I could actually go and place quotes around everything that is direct, but then it loses some of the effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joke or no joke, I detest plagiarism. If he wanted to prove his dubiously humorous point, he should have taken the time and actually written at least a half-assed review, not copy-paste Quarashi's article.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@wonderflex - you weren't the only puzzled one. My wife & I played it at Essen and we thought it was a rather silly game with a lot of annoying shuffling and no substance. This was before we knew how popular it was, so we didn't play it expecting anything at all, really. We played it for about 30 minutes I think.

Since then I have played it a few more times and yes, there are things to learn about this game. But really, what's the point? There are lots of other much better games. And as my wife (and others on BGG) said, the Emperor has no clothes.

Oddly, almost everyone else I know loves the game. Can't explain it really. It just seems so pointless.

EDIT: the review looks similar to the other one, but it's not the same. There are a lot of differences, although the structure is clearly drawn from the other. Still, the academic world is built around LaTeX where every paper looks the same - doesn't necessarily indicate plagiarism. All that said, I can't see why wonderflex didn't just use his own style.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
Joke or no joke, I detest plagiarism. If he wanted to prove his dubiously humorous point, he should have taken the time and actually written at least a half-assed review, not copy-paste Quarashi's article.


Nope. Not plagiarism and you wouldn't rather read my actual review of the game because it's not as fun - and besides, that one already has enough people talking on it. This one is pretty clean and has plenty of room for new fun things to be said on it. Besides, all of this I don't really believe that you dislike plagiarism. Don't know why, but I don't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
meowsqueak wrote:
@wonderflex - you weren't the only puzzled one. My wife & I played it at Essen and we thought it was a rather silly game with a lot of annoying shuffling and no substance. This was before we knew how popular it was, so we didn't play it expecting anything at all, really. We played it for about 30 minutes I think.

Since then I have played it a few more times and yes, there are things to learn about this game. But really, what's the point? There are lots of other much better games. And as my wife (and others on BGG) said, the Emperor has no clothes.

Oddly, almost everyone else I know loves the game. Can't explain it really. It just seems so pointless.


I'm glad you agree. Please spread the good word to all the corners of the world. Also, I don't know what Essen is, but I'm glad that opened your eyes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderflex wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Joke or no joke, I detest plagiarism. If he wanted to prove his dubiously humorous point, he should have taken the time and actually written at least a half-assed review, not copy-paste Quarashi's article.


Nope. Not plagiarism and you wouldn't rather read my actual review of the game because it's not as fun - and besides, that one already has enough people talking on it. This one is pretty clean and has plenty of room for new fun things to be said on it. Besides, all of this I don't really believe that you dislike plagiarism. Don't know why, but I don't.


Plagiarism: "use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work."

Well if I were Quarashi, I would be mightily pissed at you. Even though I don't agree with his point he took time and effort to actually write an eloquent review. You re-posted his review as your own to prove something you find amusing, blatantly abusing the BGG reviewing and modding system. I am glad you consider BGG your little toy where you can have "fun", but if this "fun" means stealing other people's work, then I hope you'll find it short-lived.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.