Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I looked at Academy's website and didn't find what I was looking for...

1. Is this really a "stand alone" game that can be played out of the box without owning "Awakening the Bear" (AtB)?

2. "Storms of Steel" (SoS) has no scenarios that require maps or counters from AtB?

3. How many scenarios are included in SoS?

4. Do the scnarios just cover Kursk or do they go further into 1944-1945?

5. Is this the last Russian Front iteration or are additional CoH games/modulesplanned?

6. Having watched a couple CoH games played, why does it seem to take so long for seemingly small actions?

Any intell appreciated! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stosser44 wrote:

1. Is this really a "stand alone" game that can be played out of the box without owning "Awakening the Bear" (AtB)?

Yes.

Quote:
6. Having watched a couple CoH games played, why does it seem to take so long for seemingly small actions?

A lot of it has to do with many players, in my experience and including myself, who want to maximize their limited APs and CAPs, which can lead to overthinking moves. I try to go with a 1 minute per action rule to keep pace with the concept that this is a battlefield and decision have to be made on the fly. At the same time, you want your opponent to have fun! So, it's a balancing game. As with any game, players can suffer analysis paralysis.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Cheers.

Chris Montgomery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stosser44 wrote:

2. "Storms of Steel" (SoS) has no scenarios that require maps or counters from AtB?

3. How many scenarios are included in SoS?

4. Do the scnarios just cover Kursk or do they go further into 1944-1945?

5. Is this the last Russian Front iteration or are additional CoH games/modulesplanned?

Any intell appreciated! meeple

2. You definitely won't require anything from AtB for SoS. If I were the designer, I'd put in one "bonus" scenario that used both modules, but I haven't heard of any intentions to do this. My guess is that if anything like that appears, it will be web only. As far as I know, anything in the box will just require SoS. If you don't have AtB, and you get SoS, you're definitely NOT going to feel like you only bought half a game (and the same goes the other way around, once SoS comes out, if you just buy AtB.)

3. I'm not sure - I think the scenarios are still being finalized, so it will depend on how many they can fit in the book. I'm guessing around a dozen - there will be both multiplayer and solo scenarios this time around.

4. They are fairly focused just on Kursk. It was going to go further into 1944-45 originally, but Uwe found so much out there just surrounding Kursk, he thought he could make a bitter, more in-depth game by just focussing on that aspect of the war.

5. Nothing for sure is decided yet - I'm guessing Uwe still will want to visit Eastern Front, 1944-45, but the next module will, to the best of my knowledge, be North Africa, not Eastern Europe.

Hope that helps! I believe all the information I've given is accurate, but hopefully Uwe will drop in and give us some more factual tidbits. Great questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,
The next modules will be First Men In - Airborne battles by the 82nd, 101st, and 6th. The British 6th will be covered by its own firefight book.

Then Island of Doom - The battle for Crete, including the Brits, Greeks, Indians, Aussies, etc.

Both of these last two games will include many more solo games, campaign interlinked firefights, and smaller engagements.

I am also working with Michał Ozon on the Polish Nationality expansion pack, which features the Polish 1939 battles against the Germans and Soviets.

I just interviewed Fritz R. again. He is an incredible source on the Afrika corps, with an incredible mind for details. He was a leutenant under Rommel from June 1941 until May 1943. The everyday life details are facinating, from how they went to the bathroom to how they washed. What surprised me the most was how they were treated by the Morrocans, who they were handed to by the Americans to transport them to the prisoner ships. So you know that Afika is coming.

Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how realistic the fighting will be concerning infantry against tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.