Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Wed. night I have a game group. I use the term "group" loosely because mostly it’s just me and my best bud Chris. I have invited many of my friends to join us but alas Chris is the only one to come. This is a problem, and a frustrating subject, for another day. I’m here to talk about happy stuff.

I have seen posted here (on different forums) many times over people talking about playing games in public establishments like; Starbucks, bookstores, coffee shops, FLGS, restaurants etc. Usually those posts are revolved around subject questions like; is it acceptable, comfortable, fun, etc. Not to long ago as I was reading one of these posts and someone mentioned a gamming bar in Boston he thinks he heard of. I instantly lightened up and was like, "cool what is it". The name could not be remembered and after a few others thoughts, the consensus were that it no longer exists.

I started looking into social gamming groups that meet in public in my area and many fine people belong to these groups but everything seamed to formal for my tastes. So I decided that this would not work for Chris and me. We are both laid back and enjoy the social aspect of games, with food beer and laughs. I did not see us going to a FLGS.

On Sat. night after going to a "Pawtucket Redsox" game with my girlfriend and parents, I decided to take her to a pub in the area that I used to hang out at like 10 years ago. Upon stepping into the door I was pleased to see it was exactly the same as I remembered. I even recognized the face of the owner/bartender. When we sat down we were greeted with smiles and pleasant talk. We were treated like we belonged there and had been customers our whole lives. I sparked up a conversation with the owner/bartender about how I remember how good their food was especially their corn beef Reuben. He mentioned that they have a buffalo wing special on Sun. and Wed.’s. I told him that I play games with a friend on Wed. and as much as I love Buffalo wings I cannot. He pointed to the area of the bar/pub that was for entertaining and says play here. So I replied maybe, maybe.

I pondered this for a bit, the whole game in the bar/pub thing. I was worried that it might be awkward. Or people might view us as odd or "Geeks". Finally I said screw it we’re going. So Chris and I decided Dominion would be best to take to get a feel of how things work out.

It was AWSOME!!!

We managed to play 3 games and a couple games of darts. One guy playing pool came over to our table and asked us about what we were playing. So I gave him a brief idea about the game. He said he used to play a card game about vampires that was like MTG. Another gentleman, after Dominion was put away and we were playing darts, came to the table near by and looked at the Dominion box, I went over to explain the game to him. He was very articulate and seamed intrigued so I provided him with the web address of BGG my screen name and the game title on a piece of paper. He said he wanted to look into it.

The pub/bar had specials that night. I got a Reuben, 6 Buffalo wings and around 5 beers for @ $17.00 that’s a wicked good deal for around here. You can find info about it here http://www.myspace.com/thecelticpub I highly recommend it. It’s the kind of place where you can move furniture around and make yourself comfortable. In the entertainment area there are TV’s a pool table, darts, and plenty of tables to arrange to accommodate the space you need.

This place is right in my back yard. I never would have though about going there to game before and I’m glad these turn of events happened. I’m glad I let down my guard and threw away my preconceived notions and went. Chris and I both decided that because of the great time we had to turn our weekly game night, into going there instead of my game room every other week. We’re hopping after some time, of going there, people will join us there and we can meet new people and introduce people to this hobby that would have never have know about it.

So I guess the moral of the story is don’t assume people will treat you odd cause you are doing something in a place, that would not be normally seen there. People can surprise you and show interest, and before you know it you might meet new friends.... That will come to your game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo...the best game to bring to a bar is one in which *every single piece* can be ruined by a spilled beer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynda Shea
United States
Tolland
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Sooo...the best game to bring to a bar is one in which *every single piece* can be ruined by a spilled beer?

I thought about that and the buffalo wings getting messy on the components/cards...just seems like a recipe for disaster. However, it sounds like it worked out well for you...good luck in your future meetings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80sGirl wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

I thought about that and the buffalo wings getting messy on the components/cards...just seems like a recipe for disaster. However, it sounds like it worked out well for you...good luck in your future meetings.

I was at one time an elitist of "ohhh no my cards are getting bent".

If Dominion was out of print and next to impossible to find and cost allot then yeah maybe I would have been concerned. If it had collectible cards like Magic then sure I would worry a little.

But I now know that getting worried about something like that is silly. What's more important than the sanctity and prestine quality of our games is the memories and enjoyment that we have playing them.

If you had a muscle/sports/racing car that was in mint condition sitting in your garage perfectly clean and never driven over 100mph; whats the point of owning it? if you can't take it out, get it dirty and get speeding tickets; cause it looks preatty.

If Chris would have spilt his Beer, (which he wouldn't, were old school party guys that's a sin) or got a finger print of sauce on a card, (which he wouldn't cause he's respectful, and my best bud) I could look at that finger print and smile and remember the cool night I had. And remeber how I re-learned that life is too short to have your panties in a bunch every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
But I now know that getting worried about something like that is silly. What's more important than the sanctity and prestine quality of our games is the memories and enjoyment that we have playing them.

Amen, brother.
A sauce stain in the heat of battle is a badge of honor.

Nice story.
I've got a similar bar in my neighborhood.
Good times, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post.

My ex-game club, the Liverpool Lion Boardgamers are set up in a pub. We're not sectioned off and usually have regular patrons in the vicinity. Apart from the odd yo-yo, who will entertain his yo-yo friends with one of the following:

"Is that like Monopoly"? - [Said while playing 'Die Macher']

or

"Are you lot playing a game"?

Apart from that (which admittedly doesn't happen that often), the group is left to its gaming. There's always the casual interest of people looking to see what we're doing. If it's early on in the evening, while we're playing fillers waiting for more member to arrive then any onlookers are invited to join a quick game of 'For Sale' or 'No Thanks'. You will be surprised that quite a few are willing to give a quick game a try.

Hopefully this will be the start of your group. Perhaps place a small ad somewhere local for a certain night. For the Lion's first night we paid the bar a small amount to prepare some food fo those who took the time to check it out. Your bar sounds ideal.

Here's to a healthy gaming future for you. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Upon stepping into the door I was pleased to see it was exactly the same as I remembered. I even recognized the face of the owner/bartender. When we sat down we were greeted with smiles and pleasant talk.

Pretty soon when you walk in all the patrons are going to yell out, "Jeff!"

AvidHunter wrote:
The pub/bar had specials that night. I got a Reuben, 6 Buffalo wings and around 5 beers for @ $17.00 that’s a wicked good deal for around here.

Damn. Around here you'd be lucky to get the 5 beers for that price.

Good on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
He said he used to play a card game about vampires that was like MTG.

Good old Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. What fun for small groups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtabler wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
He said he used to play a card game about vampires that was like MTG.

Good old Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. What fun for small groups!

Yup that's exactly it. He said "it used to be called Jyhad and they changed the name for obvious reasons"

That does look interesting I want to try it but really can't get into another collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story!

My wife and I play Mr. Jack at pubs and have a really good time. People are usually interested and the beer and atmosphere is great.

Probably not the best place for gamer who stares at the board with a grimace on his face pondering every possible move for 10 minutes a shot but great for people relaxing and getting in a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Nice story!

My wife and I....

Probably not the best place for gamer who stares at the board with a grimace on his face pondering every possible move for 10 minutes a shot but great for people relaxing and getting in a few games.

You bring up a great point here, should I do a geeklist of pub friendly games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Rastak wrote:
Nice story!

My wife and I....

Why not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fritz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

If you had a muscle/sports/racing car that was in mint condition sitting in your garage perfectly clean and never driven over 100mph; whats the point of owning it? if you can't take it out, get it dirty and get speeding tickets; cause it looks preatty.

Lionel Ritchie: I learned that the point of having an expensive car is not to drive fast, but to drive really slowly so everyone can see you in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
The pub/bar had specials that night. I got a Reuben, 6 Buffalo wings and around 5 beers for @ $17.00 that’s a wicked good deal for around here.

Buffalo Wings while playing a game? a card game of all things?

You are SO fired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

Buffalo Wings while playing a game? a card game of all things?

You are SO fired.

like we were holding the cards and the wings at the same time. Or never bothered to go the restroom and wash off with soap.

Come on, for real.

Fired over that, iv'e done much worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

It sounds like what we need is a list of game-friendly pubs, sorted by city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Littleton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Beer + geekery + Dominion = Win!

That's so cool you got over the whole, "oh, I only game in my garage with the door pulled down and hushed whispers". Gaming is SOCIAL and bringing it to a SOCIAL place is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I frequent a bar in our little burg and when he was having a very tough time with his now ex-wife, we'd meet at our bar and play the hell out of Babel. They were very accomodating and we got some interest from the other patrons. We took some other bigger games there also and it was absolutely now problems. This place is a sports bar with dozens of TVs, pool tables, and dart boards. In this time period, we accumulate a lot of two player games.

I never felt out of place and if someone doesn't like this, screw 'em. The owner was very much OK with it.

Glad you found a place like ours. We don't play games much there anymore because his new wife likes to play and we do it at home, something his ex didn't like because we'd drink beer when we did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
many use meetup to find something near
http://www.meetup.com/Northern-RI-Boardgames-Group/
or start thier own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:
many use meetup to find something near
http://www.meetup.com/Northern-RI-Boardgames-Group/
or start thier own.

I leave for a vacation in NH soon and will definatly check into this when I get back. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcanderson71 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

It sounds like what we need is a list of game-friendly pubs, sorted by city.

That's a great idea I'll check with Aldie to see if there are conflict of interest issues starting that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.