Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few years, I have finished graduate school. One of the things that I told myself I was going to do after accomplishing this, was create a game I am doing this for the experience and to be able to say I did it. I want to go through the entire design process, and ultimately create a professional looking print and play game. My problem is that over the years, I have amassed several half ideas. I know it wold be best for me to pick one and try running with it. Which is where I want your help. Could you please look over these ideas and let me know your thoughts. Obviously, I want to work on a game that is fun and original Please let me know which of these ideas you think would bet result in that type of game. Please also let me know which idea you think would be best to pursue as a "my first game design." Thanks!

idea #1: I actually semi-created a prototype of this game about five years ago. The idea is that each person creates a gladiator and then fights it out with dice rolls and a small pool of selected tactics cards. This game essentially takes character creation of a Role Playing Game and distills it down to player vs. player combat.

idea #2: This game would be a simple strategy game that uses dice to recreate video game style shooting matches. The base mechanic would be "rock-paper-scissors" So grunt soldiers would be strongest against scouts, scouts would be stronger against heavy soldiers, and heavy soldiers would be strongest against grunt soldiers. Each solider type would have their own unique attributes and abilities, as well as their own deck of weapons and special cards. In addition to that, each unit type has a terrain type that they are strongest in, and the game board would be modular so various "maps" could be made. Video game style matches such as capture points, attack/defend, and CTF would be played with this game.

idea #3: This game would be a 2 player deduction game. There would be X amount of tiles and the tiles would be arranged in some sort of grid. Each tile represents a person attending some sort of diplomatic ball in the cold war era. One player controls two of them and the other player controls the rest of them. The player controlling the majority of the tile secretly selects one tile to be the undercover spy. The player controlling two tiles secretly selects one to be the CIA contact and the other to be the KGB contact. The goal of the game for the player controlling the majority is to survive so many turns, or successfully say the pass phrase to the CIA agent. The other player attempts to catch the undercover agent with the KGB agent. The player controlling the CIA/KGB will move one and then select an adjacent tile to say the pass phrase to. The other player can then have so many tiles exchange places. I think this could be a good game of cat and mouse, while the one player tries to root out the undercover agent, and the undercover agent player tries to hide out or deduct who the CIA agent is.

idea #4: This game idea is heavily inspired by the video game Rainbow Six Vegas. The players each control a small special forces team and rely heavily on cover to either eliminate the other team or plant a bomb. One of the ways I envision this game working is that players take their moves simultaneously instead of being a turn based game.

idea #5: This game idea has inspiration from the video game Fable. It is a card game where players play various cards that essentially generate "resources" of combat prowess, renown, and acumen. So for example a player might play a card called "Married for Money" that will generate +2 Acumen per turn, but in order to play that card the player needs a renown of 8 (which other cards would have earned him). The goal is to get high enough ratings in these three areas to successfully complete quest cards that are worth victory points. When a quest is completed all of the cards currently in play for a player except one are discarded, and the player begins working on a new quest. To draw cards, players can do a blind draw or there will X amount of cards turned up that players can buy by using their resources. However to buy these cards will essentially be an auction of sorts and this will be how players have more direct interaction in this game.

idea #6: This is an idea that I have only thought about in the past couple of months while playing a lot of Left 4 Dead on the Xbox and Dominion on the table. It would be a Zombie card game. The goal would be to live longer than the other players. Each player would take turn picking various mini-decks that represent locations. The mini decks would be combined to make a larger communal deck. This does not have the deck building of Dominion exactly, but it would still allow for a lot of variety. As this is one of my most recent ideas, I have not been able to throughly think out the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I like idea number 1 the best, but get rid of the dice and find another way to fight.The character creation is brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cold War setting is far richer a vein than any port of a first-person-shooter.

As for which game to pursue I strongly implore you to design the game you have the most fun making. The passion will show in the quality of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Idea 4 and 5 the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like your zombie card game idea. There are many computer programs out there on which you can design the cards. I did this with an old baseball card making program and took graphics from the web to make the cards. We made a Star Trek card game this way and it was tons of fun...it was kind of like Avalon Hills "Naval War" in the way it played.

Perhaps you could combine a board game with a card game involving zombies. The cards could be goodies that the players can find in various areas on a town board to help them battle zombies. Players could also trade equipment or even fight each other too which adds a diplomacy like effect to the game. The player who kills the most amount of zombies and explores the most areas in the town wins.

Or how about a card game where one player's deck is a zombie deck and the other player's deck is a human deck? Kind of a take off on "Up Front" with groups of zombies and humans battling it out using things like:

Human Cards-some examples....
Axe
Chainsaw
Rifle
Samurai Sword
Etc....

Zombie Cards...some examples
"Swarm of zombies"
Zombie doggy
Surprise Attack

If you need any help just send me an email.....My friends and I have custom made about 50 games over the years...nothing fancy but just stuff we play amongst ourselves......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Del_Esau wrote:
The Cold War setting is far richer a vein than any port of a first-person-shooter.

As for which game to pursue I strongly implore you to design the game you have the most fun making. The passion will show in the quality of the game.

I would choose to play this game out of all the games described.
And also echo Del_Esau's idea of going with your passion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you want this:
Quote:
I want to go through the entire design process, and ultimately create a professional looking print and play game.

and from my experience that designing a game from an idea/scratch until ready is not a short journey (a lot of time and sweat will be invested, and maybe some money), my best suggestion is that you choose what you like the best. Make the game as you make the game for yourself, then finish it.

This way, you will have the energy to finish it, because you like it !
(or, it will be too easy to lose interest after some work).

At least, that's how I made mine.
With L O V E , baby

Cheers!

JackD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently undertook some very serious and indepth study into the percentage of games on a theme compared to the percentage of overkill.
My findings were interesting to say the least.

Pirate games showed 184% games compared to market size.
Rennaissance Italy games showed 210% games compared to market size.
Cold War games showed 123% games compared to market size.
Zombie games showed 1788% games compared to market size.

Zombies are cool n all but the Rainbow Six or Fable ideas sound good. The gladiators theme is cool and the KGB/CIA does have something going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea #3 sounded most interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I like #3 best. But then, I've always been a Cold War buff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it amusing that the majority of your tabletop game ideas are inspired by video games. It's amusing because I do the same thing. What happens, at least for me, is that I think of something that is fun, like the teamwork in Rainbow Six for example, and then I see if I can get that same feeling out of a traditional game.

Because ultimately, manipulating actual playing pieces, holding cards, moving tiles, are all way more satisfying than pressing buttons and watching the results on a TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#3 personally - it'd be interesting to see how that operates...

Mostly because I'm curious how that'd play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim "git yer stinkin' themes offa my mechanic" Puccio
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a smidgen more weight behind #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.