Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
During my stay in Kamloops I dropped by 2 local stores. This is a review of them; their products and their features. As far as I could tell there was 2 stores that could be called 'games stores' and these are: All Aboard Games and High Octane Comics. As this is a review of the stores themselves I will state here that product prices are typical of flgs and as always a few nice surprises. There will always be cheaper than the flgs but without our support they cannot exist.

All Aboard Games
http://www.allaboardgames.ca/
I initially only found this store after an initial web search and checked it out twice
thumbsupPros:
-Website is good, well featured and still in development but lacks a forum
-Store front is open with lots of space.
-Several gaming tables
-Rented games; Board games, video games and movies. A very novel idea which I think more stores should think about. If you wish to purchase a game after renting it the rental price goes towards the game cost.
-Scheduled game nights and web calendar
thumbsdownCons:
-Had a geek smell (know know what I am talking about)
-A little dissorganized
-Game nights biweekly
d10-6Conclusion: I would give the store a 5/10 but the rental idea bumps it up to 6

High Octane Comics and Collectables
http://www.highoctanecomics.com/main.html
I found this after a second web search and I am glad I decided to check this store out.
thumbsupPros:
-Lots of stock of boardgames and miniatures. Major lines include; warhammer, 40k, LOTR, several reaper minis and Flames of War
-Clean well laid out store
-Loads of collectable figures and art.
-Lots of comic books and anime and videos
-Good website with forum but lacking in storefront
-Lots of friendly staff willing to help out
-Loads of games tables located in the basement
-Carried games that are both old and new including games not readily available
-Scheduled games nights and active gaming group
thumbsdownCons:
-Scheduled games not well advertised.
-Store Cramped and tight to view stock
-Out of stock on some products including several I wanted to purchased
-Carries flames of war and has a large group of players of which I can not find in victoria.
d10-8I found this store to be the unexpected gem and I would give it an 8 out of 10 losing do to tight storefront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who lives in Kamloops, I can underline the fact that High Octane Comics is a great store. If they do not have a game they will certainly order it in for you. There is an active board game group. Check out Kamloops Board Game Society page on Facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McAusland
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Also a resident of Kamloops, I have to agree that high Octane is a gem. I haven't had a chance to get downtown to all aboard Games yet, But plan too very soon.

I've been to a lot of comic-game shops over the years, and the guys at High Octane are the friendliest, most helpful I've met anyplace. Whenever I bring one of my four kids in there, they are also eager to show them stuff and foster the love of all things geeky and awesome. I look forward to doing some demos in their basement gaming den this year (2010).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Bacon
Canada
flag msg tools
The link to the High Octane website is either dead or blocked (by the government) in China. Does anyone know its physical address? I'll be back in town in December 2012, and would like to drop in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
http://highoctanecomics.com/
this link goes to the home page and the address is

#250 3rd Ave. Kamloops, BC V2C 3M3
Toll Free: 1-877-6-OCTANE
EMAIL: highoctanecomics@hotmail.com

Mail Orders Welcome
Open 7 days a week, 10:00am-5:30pm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.