Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...my wife takes great delight in informing me that I suck at this game. And, let's be honest, I do. So I'm hoping someone has done an in-depth analysis that can answer my questions...

1) Is it a bad idea to deliberately play for a tile-exchange? I often find myself lining up an exchange a turn or two early - do you think this is compromising my overall strategy?

2) Playing for the Ingenious bonus is hurting. How much extra is it possible to gain from the one bonus move? Am I better off shifting all my pegs up to 10 points and settling around there?

3) Is it possible to play too defensively? About halfway through the game, I identify my opponent's weakest colour (possibly two) and try to cut it off. This, though gives her more opportunity to do the same to me. How do other players determine the right moment to start blocking? Is it possible to try and block out one colour right from the start?

Please help make me a better Ingenious player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
1) Is it a bad idea to deliberately play for a tile-exchange? I often find myself lining up an exchange a turn or two early - do you think this is compromising my overall strategy?

That depends. Late in the game you should definitely be playing your low colors. Early on, you go for just the biggest numbers. When does the shift occur? A few turns before you realize it.

ousgg wrote:
2) Playing for the Ingenious bonus is hurting.

You want big numbers and you want to score your low colors, but getting Ingenious is not always useful. If you have 15 or better in a color it is usually best not to score the Ingenious until you have a combo that screws up your opponent. Eg, if your opponent is low in green there is a long line of green open at both ends, you might block one end of that line with your move that scores Ingenious and then block the other end with the free move.

ousgg wrote:
3) Is it possible to play too defensively?

Yes, but with two players it's not common.

ousgg wrote:
About halfway through the game, I identify my opponent's weakest colour (possibly two) and try to cut it off. This, though gives her more opportunity to do the same to me.

It's a question of balance. You want to block your opponent's low color, but not at the cost of getting your own low color blocked.

ousgg wrote:
Is it possible to try and block out one colour right from the start?

No, but once you have a significant lead in a color, you might try blocking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.