Subject: So what is the definitive way to play this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked this up because of all the good things I'd heard about it here. It looks like a lot of the rules have been tweaked post-release though and I was wondering if there was some discrete rule set that was generally agreed to be the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing it on the real thing:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've had little interest in the variants posted for this game, but everybody has an opinion.

If I were you, I'd play the game as is a few times, first, and then read over the proposed variants, and see which (if any) you think are necessary. It isn't that the game is broken, after all - it works just fine with the rules that come with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about the rule regarding not being able to buy UP stock, but only trade for it? Many seem to think it's absolutely essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the rules WBC will use this year, and they seem pretty good too me. For whatever that's worth.

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbkex/unppge.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no single definitive way. Lots of different ways work fine.

For getting started, I recommend:

1. Only acquire UP stock by trading a stock in hand. This has gotten to be pretty much everyone's standard.
2. Divide the deck (after dealing initial hands and setting aside 4 cards for the face-up cards and 6 cards for the top 6) into four equal parts and shuffle one dividend card into each. This gives the dividends a little bit of predictability. When you know the game well enough to be happy with an unexpectedly short *OR* an unexpectedly long game, you'll be more welcoming of the idea of putting 3 of the dividend cards into the bottom half of the deck, and can decide whether you like it.

The basic system is so strong that it supports a lot of variants that make good games. Allowing UP to be used as wild cards (there must be one natural card in each meld) is one we've been playing lately. Also with six players in the game we've been playing partnerships and enjoying it. (Partner with the player opposite you at the table. Each partnership maintains one array of melds. No table talk, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
There is no single definitive way. Lots of different ways work fine.

For getting started, I recommend:

1. Only acquire UP stock by trading a stock in hand. This has gotten to be pretty much everyone's standard.
2. Divide the deck (after dealing initial hands and setting aside 4 cards for the face-up cards and 6 cards for the top 6) into four equal parts and shuffle one dividend card into each. This gives the dividends a little bit of predictability.

On you points 1 & 2: that's the way I was taught and have played for years. It works fine.

I've also read the rules and feel the base game would be fine too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great, I'll do it that way then. Danke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like there's a population that believes that unlimited UP cards is the definitive way and another population that believes that trading a stock for a UP is the definitive way. Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are probably just two different ways to prevent running out of UP shares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.