Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got a nice looking homemade board and enjoyed our first game last night. I noticed that the hole in the middle causes the discs to jump when they pass over. I also noticed that the inset wood in the hole is partly to blame. I can see you want that there to extract the disc easily, but perhaps there is a small margin for how deep it is recessed? The thought being that if it didn't make contact with that piece, perhaps the discs would travel more smoothly over the hole.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

We're using wood discs; anyone using phenolic resin?

Thanks,
robbage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
The puck will jump if you hit is straight over the hole. In fact, there are video's of trick shots in which the puck jumps over another puck to hit it's target. Just look up Crokinole or Crokinole shots on YouTube and should find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that shoots my theory down.

Thanks,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never liked the idea of the button or piece of wood in the hole for this very reason.

My board doesn't have one and it's perfectly easy to get the disc out.

If I were to ever get another board for some reason I would very much specify that I do NOT want anything in the hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each board is different. Consider it the home field advantage.

On a side note Glen Kuntz who sold me my first Crokinole board year ago at Pointcon told me the record for most consecutive shots into the middle hole was 96 in a row by a Canadian fella. That's right, ninety six!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazurhet,

Well then, I wonder if the phenomena of jumping when it hits the hole would be alleviated by lowering or taking out the insert? I could always remove mine.

Anybody try this or know for sure . . .?

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say for sure if it has anything at all to do with it jumping or not.

Our discs do jump if you hit it just right. I'm just overly paranoid that it will exacerbate the problem.

I've never really heard any complaints about it and I'm sure there are plenty here that have played with both kinds of boards. I am supposing you'd have heard about it by now if it were an actual problem.

Part (all?) of it is also simply aesthetic value.

I LOVE the custom boards with paint jobs all over the place and crazy things in the ditch and in the hole. They look WONDERFUL and I'm sure they play just fine.

However, I got my Black and Gold board and it's very spartan. Very "clean" if you will. I guess part of my aversion to it is based upon my love for my own board with its very minimalist style and I have perhaps constructed an idea of "bad play" to go along with it.

I can definitely recognize this as an irrational thing.

Still, I don't like things in the middle!

Take it as you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.