Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
In games between me and my wife, Sun always seems to win, and Moon seems to have a hard time getting above 8 points.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

If not, what strategies does Moon need to pursue to win? It just seems that Sun has an advantage having the carbon as a starting colony as Sun can more easily build cannons and modules.

Is it my strategy or a fatal flaw in the game? I would like to see stats on how often the 2 sides win the game.

Anyway, appreciate any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been some time since I played this game, but I do not recall one side winning far more often than the other.

In my version (Kosmos), Moon starts with Carbon, and Sun starts with Fuel.

Starting with Carbon means that you have easier access to Cannons and Modules, as you say. But starting with Fuel means you have easier access to Engines and Ships.

With regard to strategy, this means that you'll want to follow a different (starting) strategy depending on what your starting resource is; the player with Carbon will be aiming for early Modules, whereas the player with Fuel will try for an early Colony.

I often feel that the Fuel player has a small advantage, as I feel that early in the game, Cannons are less valuable than Engines, as you need several Cannons to seriously fight the pirates, while Engines immediately add to your options to make money.
(Having said that, I must admit that, later in the game, I often still lack Cannons and avoid the card stacks with many pirates in them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
In my version (Kosmos), Moon starts with Carbon, and Sun starts with Fuel.

Same with my Mayfair version.

After many games, I do not think either side has much advantage. As Emile said, the starting strategy for each is a little different, but even that is shaped by what you can claim in the first few turns. Moon (carbon) should get a modules as soon as they can and get cannons whenever they are full of carbon but are missing food and ore. Sun (fuel) should focus on rockets and start with a Sensor or Command Module to take advantage of the extra moves. Getting Sensor II or Command II is fairly vital for the speed route. Moon will often be the pirate hunter, gaining a choice of goods but lacking the speed to guarantee reaching a desired location. Sun typically uses sensors to try to avoid pirates. I will happily play either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you are losing the module race?
You can try this:
I would say leave the modules open for anyone to purchase, when they are sold out they are gone, but players can both have the same level 2 module if they both upgraded thier module that way and thier was a level 2 left...Thus they both get the victory point from that module type....That seems to make it about as fair as you can be as far as module balance and leaves a win or loss up to how you played the game(you wont feel you lost because you got out raced on the "good module")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have little input to give on this topic, having completely forgotten about Starship Catan until last night when I saw this post. How did we so overlook this little gem?

We just played twice, and Sun and Moon each won once. Both when played by Lisa, so that doesn't mean much, as she normally beats me at games.

The fuel seems very useful for early boosters...but then, carbon seems handy for modules earlier. I'm unconvinced it would matter all that much.

Edit: I just won playing with the starting fuel (which is Sun in my version). If I can beat Lisa while she's got the Carbon, it can't be unbalanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play with a house-rule that neither player can upgrade to a level 2 module until both players have 3 modules. It helps balance out a lot of little luck-factors and usually leads to a skill win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
We usually play with a house-rule that neither player can upgrade to a level 2 module until both players have 3 modules. It helps balance out a lot of little luck-factors and usually leads to a skill win.

It's been a while since the missus and I played too, but I recall making a house rule that was almost identical. I don't recall either sun or moon having any advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
g0dolphins wrote:
Joe Casadonte wrote:

It's been a while since the missus and I played too, but I recall making a house rule that was almost identical. I don't recall either sun or moon having any advantage.

I'm 5 plays in and I don't think either side has an advantage - using fuel for boosters and ships is quite strong, especially since pirates are a complete non-thread for half of the game. I think house-ruling it to prevent players from upgrading early would merely flatten the game and take a chunk out of the replayability. I think it's quite replayable as it is, but if anything, it could use more variety, not less. If this game were designed today, it could be based on a subset-model like so many other current titles. Probably no real market for an update, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke J
msg tools
I've played this many dozens of times and find that Moon always wins. OK, not always, but in every game when Sun can't find a Food, Carbon, or Ore colony in the first couple of rounds, which is probably a good 80 percent of game. I think many of you are thinking about this the wrong way...it's not an issue of boosters vs. cannons - you can easily win the game without investing in either.

The entire game hinges on the module race...I would say in almost every game, the first player to open four level II modules wins, as they are the only reliable source of victory points, and having four means that the other player can only get two. It would take a rather stunning rash of luck to overcome this advantage, and that seldom actually happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is missing Sun card. Can someone geekmail me a photo of it until I get it replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.