John Prados' Third Reich» Forums » Rules

Subject: Setting up naval and air units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was setting up for the campaign game, and I wasn't sure of how to set up the naval and air units for the countries. For example, Britain has the following units set up on the game board:

2 x 1-4 TAC (in Malta and Gibraltar)
1 x 2-4 TAC (in Egypt)
2 x 5-4 TAC (in Great Britain)

It should also have the following in its force pool:

1 x 5-4 TAC
1 x 1-4 TAC

And it receives the following addittions in 1942:

1 x 5-4 TAC

I placed these as required, but Britain also has loads more 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, and 5-4 TAC units. Where should these go? Can Britain build these at the start, or should some come as additions in 1942 along with the 5-4 TAC?

I had a similar problem with naval units. Germany should have 3 SUB factors on the board at the start. It should have 20 factors in the force pool, and it should receive 5 more factors in 1943. However, Germany has a lot more factors than that. Where should these extra factors be placed? Should some arrive as addittions along with the 5 SUB factors in 1943, or should they be in the force pool?

Same with SURF factors. The set-up instructions only state how many 9 strength SURF units are placed on the board or in the force pool. What about the other SURF units? Should they arrive with reinforcements, or should they be in the force pool?

Any help is welcome
Jaakko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Earl! That solves the problem I had!

Jaakko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Buttridge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BTW - we have been playing that the TAC and NAV unit can make "change" with the extra unit. Can't you also split the units up freely? Say make a 9 factor navy into a 4 factor and a 5 factor, and similar with the TAC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This version of Third Reich does explicitly allow splitting up of fleet and air factors (and that will be even more necessary if you ever play Great Pacific War--assuming you can find a place to set up the maps and charts!). You might run into some confusion with players on this since in early incarnations of Third Reich it was not allowed.

There is an advantage with SR and sea transport in keeping the units as large as possible, of course.

More generally, you can actually build and deploy less than full strength air flotillas and fleets, and you can build two-step ground units to less than full strength (and then later repair to full strength, unless that is forbidden, such as with Italian armour or Finnish infantry).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.