Subject: THE CROSSROADS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently got together and played The Crossroads Scnario from the main set.

A small force of germans face a wave of American Attackers including a mass of Shermans. After initial setup, positioning German troops in and around the buildings and cover providing terrain of the Crossroads in the german Startup area, The Americans trundled forward, their wave of tanks heading towards the rough terrains and hills on one flank while the main body of troops charged to take the central crossroad. German troops took to the trees near the crossroads as a smaller contingent from both sides met on the other flank, bottlenecked into a single channel between the Stream and Tank traps. The initial attacks were hard fought, but the Americans seized the first crossroads while the large american body of tanks was stalled by German panzer and Tiger Tanks near the hill flank. As German forces faced a barrage of strikes from overwhelming American numbers the germans forces dwindled. The german Tanks in particular the Tiger shattered American tanks trying to advance but the numbers were too much. As Shot after shot rained down, Panzers and finally the mighty Tiger fell by the way side. American Artillery support only worsened the hell the Germans were feeling as it rained down on the second crossroads depleting desperate defenders in the buildings etc. With the combination of tank, artillery and troops signifigantly on the American side, the by now vastly depleted Germans silenced their weapons and flew the white flag at the prospect of inevitable loss and further bloodshed....

Wow. Such a tough battle for Germany. I held out pretty well till the 4th round but as the hits struck again and again there was no hope i could survive against this kind of american force till the 8th...My main hope lied in the tanks and here, on reflection with my fellow commander after, we both thought the odds might have swayed more by moving the tanks as one unit into the treeline near first crossroad, affording them cover and a LOS shooting position in all sections of the board. Still...with Artillery and American reinforcemnts on hand to the US, any chance of German victory would require some serious amount of good luck...(my dice rolls during this session were pretty miserable too, lol...except for some phenomenal Tiger Armour saves...on one point, 5 hits were replied with 5 saves plus the Tigers automatic 6 save.) we are going to try replay it and see if moving the German tanks to the Trees is the best option...But even still, holding out against America for 8 turns? Wow....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I've played this one twice, once solo and once as the Germans. Most people seem to think it's unwinnable for the Germans, but I think it can be done. I might have won my last game had I not made a critical mistake (I allowed a square to be assaulted when it could have been prevented, and lost a couple key squads).

DEFINITELY the German tanks need to be in the trees. However, you still need to defend all 3 fronts, because otherwise the US can just bum rush you and you won't be able to destroy everything fast enough (8 rounds is just way too many).

Both times I've played this, I've had the Germans split one tank on to each of the central boards, with the fourth staring down the "corridor" between the 6A and 10A woods. It acts as a reinforcement, moving into either woods as the first tank there gets destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
DEFINITELY the German tanks need to be in the trees.

Clever, those Panzers. Just when you think you've snuck around them, they come diving down at you out of the forest canopy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.