Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rel Rel
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My group have played three competitions of Formula De over a period of about ten years. We've had loads of fun, not least because of the competitive element of Formula De over multiple game sessions. We tallied up the points after each race and kept overall standings.

We've been inactive since out last session ended about a year ago, and while we do want to start up another competition, we feel that we've sort of completed Formula De, so now comes the question: are there similar games out there which are not too complex and lend themselves well to holding a competition, while also offering something different each game session (similar to the different racing circuits in Formula De)?

Thanks in advance!
Derk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a football (and by that, I mean soccer) fan then you could take a look at:

The World Cup Game and its expansions.

That way, you could play a different World Cup tournament each session.

And to be honest, don't get too put off by the theme - we've played this with a lot of people who don't like football, yet really enjoyed this game.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try playing a league of Blood Bowl (use the Living Rulebook). While you don't have different tracks, each game will have different matchups of races. Unfortunately, you'll need a copy for each 2 players and the Games Workshop figures are expensive and time-consuming to paint.

If you want to stick closer to Formula De in theme, how about Pitch Car or Pitch Car Mini?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Snow Tails? Not usually one I would think of at first, but it is a race game and it does have a completely modular track so you can set up a ton of different tracks. Depends whether you like the mechanism or not I reckon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trampas Johnson
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Powerboats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leader 1 is ideally suited for this, if you enjoy the Tour De France at all.
Multi stage races, the yellow jersey, time trials, its all there if want. BGG user Garf has posted some fantastic user mods that take this game up a notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rel Rel
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your suggestions! Sorry for the late reply: I was waiting for the email alert that someone had posted to the thread but it never came. Guess it's broken...

Anyway, here we go:

World Cup game: sounds promising. I do like football (soccer), in this case I'd have to sell it to the others who do anything but. The fact that it has expansions is a definite bonus, though.

Blood Bowl has crossed our minds, but one problem is that it is a two-player game, or at least, a two team game.

Snow Tails doesn't look like a promising option. From the reviews I surmise it has little player interaction.

Power Boats has the same problem. Formula De doesn't have that much interaction, either, though, so I might be exaggerating this problem.

Leader 1 looks like a very interesting option. A sport we can all relate to, and very suitable to a competition.

I think I'll throw World Cup Game and Leader 1 in front of the others and see what they think.

Thanks again!

Derk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.