Popular Tags: [View All]
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction

I recently played a 4 player game of Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean. This was the game the host wanted to play. It was new to all of us and I believe he had just recently picked up a copy. I'm glad he did.

I should have stayed at home

I decided not to trade with the other players but rather to head out to sea in the first two rounds. Let's just say I never made it. I went locally while another player braved the long trip to Egypt in round one. I was prevented by the event but he had two safe journey cards.

You say "Arch-on" I say "Ark-on"

Anyone know how to pronounce this properly? We weren't sure. In some of the earlier rounds it almost didn't really matter who was the archon. Later it was a hugely important issue. I was losing at one point and was nominated two or three times in a row. This is partially because I attempted to be fair and not be a kingmaker. A couple of times I asked for their archon cards so that fate would decide who suffered from certain events. This encouraged others to vote for me because of my fairness in handling the situation. However, it also meant that I was catching up and thus they needed to vote for someone else instead.

With the right group.

For me this was the perfect group to learn this game. We established early that if you "missed" doing something that you would've / should've done we'd let you take it back and do what you needed to do. There are quite a few things to keep track of in this game and there is a tad of a learning curve. It isn't so much that it is difficult to learn as much as it is a mmatter of there are a lot of options and details to juggle.

To trade or not to trade

I will admit that I pretty much traded any chance I got latter on even if it was for the sake of good will for the future. I know this does not necessarily make a winning strategy. I figured the game was working against us and I wanted the game to move more quickly.

I hope to set sail again soon for trading.

I would certainly love to play this game again sometime and hopefully soon. I will say that with the "wrong group" this might be not so enjoyable. We played a bit slowly but there are quite a few things to balance. I think it would be best to play it with the same group a few times. I'd love to try the 6 player game at some time though. I'm not at the point that I would want to buy a copy ... yet. It is meatier but isn't going to take 4 hours either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I pronounced it. Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was correct but as it isn't my game and I wasn't teaching it I also didn't want to make it a huge issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Arden, and thanks for the cool session report. Glad to hear you all had fun and took your time learning the ropes. Parthenon is defintely a game that plays best with the right mix of people, and I'm glad to hear you had that mix.

It looks like it didn't take you long to have fun with the Archon mechanic either. Players will indeed tend to elect benevolent Archons back into power, even if they have started catching up a bit.

And yes, it is indeed pronounced "Ar-kon".

Thanks!

Andrew

----------------

Andrew Parks
Quixotic Games LLC
www.quixoticgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott kowalke
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools

As a player in Arden's game, I was beginning to feel more layers of strategy as I saw Parthenon unfold. The game looked complicated, yet unlike many games, there is only one way to win, build the buildings. The good buildings were out of reach at first, so with the particular island you have, the events, harbor cards, and hazards, how do you best get there? Arden could have really shut me down with a more aggresive use of the Archon. I don't think all the buildings would be built in a game with a harsh Archon.
Mae and I had a boat load of fun last night. Her empathy in the game made it more fun. As a new gamer, Mae brought an uncorrupted enthusiasm to Parthenon. We both were wound up so much we couldn't go straight to bed after the night's game turned into a late night game. We talked the game over with smiles on our faces, we then had to move on to something else in the wee morning hours to wind down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Thanks again for getting everyone together and teaching us the game. I also was thinking about the game quite a bit on the long drive home. There is a lot there. I wanted to be a generous Archon partially because I wanted to see the game moving rather than being at a stand still. Also, I didn't want to kingmake without really meaning it.

This game seems to have a lot to the meta-game. "No, I'm not really as strong as so-and-so. They should be hit with the problem."

The other area where I tend not to be as agressive is in the trading department. I should sometimes "not" give someone something because they might benifit too much.

I thought it was interesting that we were able to trade an army for a warship early in the game. That meant we didn't need to build that other building until later. In some ways playing the game was a little like driving a car in a storm. Sure, you can see but only somewhat. You know where you are headed but you are surrounded by extra information as you are making those decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.