Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for finishing a round state: "each player must now turn in all of his transportation counters except one, which can be secret or face up."

Does this allow me to retain a counter which originated as public, and turn it over to make it private for subsequent rounds? Or does a counter begin and end its life-cycle as exclusively public or private, depending on the manner in which it was acquired?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that you can only keep your initial blind draws for each round face down...don't know for sure if that's what the rules intended but that's how we interpreted it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my feeling as well, just wanted to see if anyone else found that a little vague...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought twice about it ... it's saying you can keep one leftover whether it was a secret one or a face up one.

This rule writer was generally detailed enough that if they meant you had an optional action to turn the chit face down then I think they would have written that entire phrase somewhere. And relative to the otherwise very "clean" rules it would seem a fairly tweaky option for limited benefit to the game.

Generally, each action that a player may take is explicitly written in an active sense in most rulesets. eg "The player may turn the chit face down" would be a likely way to specify it, rather than leaving it to be surmised by an implied change to the state-of-the-game situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
I never thought twice about it ... it's saying you can keep one leftover whether it was a secret one or a face up one.

I agree with your conclusions 100%. However, your paraphrased rule is much clearer than the original wording, "except one, which can be secret or face up." If the rule had simply been left at "each player must now turn in all of his transportation counters except one" I wouldn't have had the slightest doubt how to proceed.

I've learned that in my gaming group, wiggle room, however slight, will not go unnoticed. As it fell to me to teach the game, it's my ass in the fryer if I got a rule wrong. So it never hurts to mine BGG's vaults of wisdom and experience.

To play devil's advocate for a moment though, I think always having a secret tile does not seem so limited a benefit in a game with so precious few avenues for scoring. We've only played one game so far, and it quickly got nasty (in a good way) with multiple attempts at route sabotage. Surely advertising the fact that your last counter is a magic cloud, for example, makes it clear that desert travel is not an option for you. I'd say that's a little nugget of information which could be used against you. Even the *slightest* of edges could be the difference maker with some of the piranhas I have to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smobbit wrote:
I think always having a secret tile does not seem so limited a benefit in a game with so precious few avenues for scoring.
Sure, but there aren't many situations where it would actually be a secret merely because you'd flipped it.

There isn't a lot of hidden info to track in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True...

It was our first game, so everyone was a bit overwhelmed keeping track of everything anyway.

For example, one player laid out a beautiful route, so perfect in fact, I felt the need to sabotage it with my blockade even though it was only the second round.

One *small* problem... he laid the route out FOR THE WRONG COLOR(PLAYER).

Hi-larious.

Which meant I wasted my blockade on a route no one traversed. *That* was tragic... angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.