Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Gem Dealer» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens when you have only wild cards at the start of the round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Deacon
United States
Piedmont
California
flag msg tools
mb
It states in the rules that a player has to play at least one card of the color of the round when declaring the color.
If you played all of your cards in the previous round and drew a wild card at the end of your last play do you
a) Play the wild card(s) in the new hand and declare any color?
or b) pass the lead on to the next player clockwise.

This is not covered in the rules.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jimenez
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We came up with this question too, in the process of explaining the rules to a new player. It's never come up in play (and we've had over 50 games of Gem Dealer played in the last few months), but a) seems reasonable to me, but I think when doing so you'd have to show your hand at the same time.

I'd love an official answer, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobuaki Takerube
Japan
Minami-Tsugaru-Gun
Aomori-Ken
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

musici wrote:
It states in the rules that a player has to play at least one card of the color of the round when declaring the color.
If you played all of your cards in the previous round and drew a wild card at the end of your last play do you
a) Play the wild card(s) in the new hand and declare any color?
or b) pass the lead on to the next player clockwise.

This is not covered in the rules.

Thanks.

As according the rule from Ivanhoe, a) is correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not play the wild card to lead a new round. This is explicitly stated in the rules. I believe the only play which is consistent with the rules is to play the card face-down as a concealed card worth 1 and declare which colour gem this bid is for.

Although this is not explicitly covered in the rules either. At least this way you do not overtly break the rules, although I admit you have to make some up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.