Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel McCollum
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You're browsing online, looking for games on your favorite online game store. You come across Time's Up, a party game where players attempt to give clues with words and acting to get their teammates to correctly guess a variety of famous names. You immediately think...

A)Awesome! I've been looking for a good party game that plays well with 4 or more. I often find myself in large gaming groups with people that enjoy acting a little foolish and thinking fast. Go to 1.
B)Meh. I already own a few games like Taboo and Apples to Apples, but this had better be something better than those to merit a purchase. Go to 2.
C)Oh boy, another stupid party game. I enjoy strategy far more silliness and I rarely game with more than 4 people. Go to 6.

1) I begin to think about the people I play with. Most of my gaming buddies are...

A)Rather intelligent and willing to be outgoing. Go to 3.
B)Moderately smart or extroverted, but not both. Go to 4.
C)Very uptight and easily embarrassed. Go to 6.

2) I think about why I don't enjoy my current party games very much.

A)They are too luck based without much in the way of thinking.Go to 1.
B)There is no competition in them. Go to 1.
C)I rarely have enough people around to play them. Go to 6.

3) You should strongly consider buying this game. It is a very tense and competitive party game in that smarts, speed, and skill will lead to a likely win, but is very enjoyable even while losing. The clues in this game are quite tough considering it is a party game, but smart enough players that are well rounded in their knowledge base will do just fine. The game is cheap, and it is a fantastic contribution to anyone that meets the above criteria.

4) I ponder how the last game of Taboo went for my group.
A) We had a really good time with it, but it wasn't very challenging. Go to 3.
B) It went well, but a few of the players struggled with it and got embarassed. Go to 5.
C) We hated it. Go to 6.

5) This is a very good game, but it isn't a perfect fit for you. You need a fair number of people, and the players need to be at least a little smart and outgoing. The game can be very frustrating to people that don't know very many people, but part of the fun is getting stumped on how to give clues to make some guess Caligula. Some of the clues are very hard, and it can be easy to get embarrassed when you draw a blank on a famous name. Consider playing the public domain game Celebrities that this is based on before purchasing.

6) This is definitely not a game for everyone. If you hate party games, this probably won't appeal to you even though it is my personal favorite party game. If you don't play with enough people that are bright and willing to have a silly time, this game will definitely flop.

This is a fantastic game, but make sure it is a game that will work for you and your fellow gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Parsons
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite part of the game:
It's round 2, so only one word can be spoken and someone invariably starts with "Ok, this is the guy who starred in..." and we're all shouting "ONE WORD ONE WORD" and the person has this glazed look on his face like "why are they shouting at me?" and then 2 seconds later it dawns on them. It happems to the best of us.
BEST PARTY GAME EVER. Unless you play with teenagers who don't know anything. Last night we got a 20 year old to say "The William Tell Over........House?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I noticed that terms like "bright" and "smart" came up often in your review of Times Up. I find some people write off party games because they think they don't require or demonstrate intelligence, but I agree with you on this one. Times Up is brilliant and fun, as are the people that are good at it.

My favorite party game of the 21st century. Give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Thomson
United States
Weirton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for choose your own adventures. Could you tell me which path I can find the Great Sword of Deathly Destruction? Fun review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.