Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Finally got to play this game and had some questions.

Since I do not see a prohibition in the rules, I assume it is permitted for one person to build a factory in a city on one turn and then on his next turn build another factory in the same city. Correct?

I am only going off of the English translation, but it also looks that this person would earn money for each factory in that city - either the 2nd place majority payment amount if it is not the city with the longest hotel chain or the 1st place majority payment amount if it is the longest or tied for the longest hotel chain. (I am interpreting the rules to pay the 2nd place amount, if applicable, even if there is no other player with hotels in that city). Correct?

If all this is correct, is it a viable strategy to go into one of the two most valuable cities and load it up with two of your own factories and then start building all your hotels in that city?

Also, and I think this could be an issue with many games of this type, with a 3-player game, it seems that kingmaking could be a big problem - especially if the person in 3rd place is far back after the 2nd payday with little chance to catch up - their actions could often determine the winner if 1st & 2nd players are close. This seems like a good game but I have only played it one time, so any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is much better to diversify your hotels among many cities, but you may additionally focus on just one as you mentioned. You get a lot of money when you own hotels in many different cities as opposed to just one or two.

Jighm

PS. The answers to your factory questions are all "yes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a bad strategy.

If you lead with two factories, a smart opponent will quickly come and build at least one hotel, allowing them to easily claim first place later. If you lead off with several hotels, a smart opponent will quickly come and build factories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
dcorban wrote:
This seems like a bad strategy.
It can be quite effective if you are able to do it. If you have played the remake of this game (El Capitán) you will notice that they no longer allow the same person to have more than one factory in any city.

dcorban wrote:
If you lead with two factories, a smart opponent will quickly come and build at least one hotel, allowing them to easily claim first place later.
I don't think I understand this as it would actually help the player who was able to build two factories by (a) increasing the payout amount that they would get and (b) possibly helping make that city the longest hotel chain giving even more points to the owner of the two factories.

I would not imply that this is the only thing the player would want to do, they should still try to get into other cities, but this can be a powerful move in certain circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
If you have played the remake of this game (El Capitán) you will notice that they no longer allow the same person to have more than one factory in any city.

They made at least one other questionable modification, so I wouldn't accept the new ruleset as being enlightened.

kneumann wrote:
dcorban wrote:
If you lead with two factories, a smart opponent will quickly come and build at least one hotel, allowing them to easily claim first place later.
I don't think I understand this as it would actually help the player who was able to build two factories by (a) increasing the payout amount that they would get and (b) possibly helping make that city the longest hotel chain giving even more points to the owner of the two factories.

If a player comes and builds one hotel, it is unlikely to give any significant benefit to the factory player, but the single hotel will bring a great return on investment as the factory player wastes actions and money trying to make their factories pay off.

It should also be pointed out that the factory player is not in a vacuum. Every action the factory player spends there is one less hotel competing with the other players. This will allow the other players to have wider distribution while still maintaining a majority in their respective locations. Personally, I would love it if a player spends two of their first six actions on factories. At the first payday, they will be sitting there with two hotels leftover and $8 in profit (ideal circumstances). It sounds like a guaranteed loss to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.