Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small problem with the RftG cards. They had become "sticky", meaning that they tend to stick to one another and they can't be shuffled very good.

I know that this a normal result, due to the fact that they seen almost 100 plays, but I want to know if I can wash/clean them with something, but not ruin them.

(I know that a normal solution would be to sleeve them, but card sleeves aren't easy to find in Romania.)

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the stickiness is due to humidity. Even after hundreds of plays, my cards lost their stickiness during the winter (winter's are very dry in my area). So, if there's any way to try and "dry them out" without ruining them, then I would suggest that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same problem.

Quote:
I've found that the stickiness is due to humidity.

I agree. On a humid night, I'll do more loose overhand shuffles so the cards don't stick together as badly. Additionally, I'll sort of fan the cards over and blow gently into the side of them to get some air in there. It helps in the short term, but the deck will regain its stickiness gradually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found that an old deck became usable again after letting it rest for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here. They've gone through about 70 plays, but I also keep it in the trunk of my car. It wouldn't be climate controlled in my house, but it's more susceptible to the elements in my car since we get hot summers and cold winters here.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've gotten some suggestions from friends to use some talc to absorb the moisture.

EDIT: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards got very sticky. It wasn't humidity. I live in a dry climate. Looking more closely I could see tiny black specks of what I could only surmise was a film of gamer grime (my deck gets a lot of play from many other gamers on game night). It felt so bad I could hardly shuffle and I didn't even want to play with it anymore because the cards just felt gross.

So rather than chuck it in the recycle bin (I don't think anybody would've bought them.) I had to take drastic measures. I grabbed a bag of cotton balls, some paper towels, and some rubbing alcohol. I then proceeded to swab the back and front of each and every card until the grime was gone.

I used alcohol not only because it can clean but also because as a liquid it evaporates quickly. Still, I had to be careful and not let the cards stay wet for too long. I was careful to immediately begin drying them with a soft dry towel. I didn't want any warping. The worst that happened was that too much rubbing could take some of the color away resulting in fading. So I was very careful. The whole project took me several sessions, but I did it while catching up with episodes of my favorite TV shows on my DVR.

When I was finished the cards could slide easily against each other again, just like a new set of cards, and maybe just a bit better. Still, I wasn't about to go through that project again, so I sleeved them. First cards I had ever sleeved.

That's my sticky card story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening I have cleaned my RftG cards. I have followed blindspot's advice and cleaned them with alcohol.

Be careful not to rub them hard, because the color disappears!

Right now, they are as good as new (except for the white wear marks on the edges ). So I began to search sleeves!

Regards,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to clean them with a just-wet dishtowel and a tiny bit of dishsoap.

I did this to my Dominion set after about 250 plays and it did wonders for the cards, and the Dominion cards are pretty poor quality - certainly cheaper than the RftG cards.

Just wash them with the damp dishtowel, and dry them with a dry towel. I also set them to dry for about 5 minutes on a big towel.

Yes, this is a painful process, but it works. And yes, it's time-consuming, but it's also eco-friendly. And cheap.

As for the cards being sticky due to humidity - that wasn't the case with my Dominion cards. They were QUITE dirty. Once washed, the sheen was restored, and the cards got their "slippery" back. Try washing one of the RftG cards and set it next to a dirty one. I bet you see a clear difference. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Ditto here. They've gone through about 70 plays, but I also keep it in the trunk of my car. It wouldn't be climate controlled in my house, but it's more susceptible to the elements in my car since we get hot summers and cold winters here.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've gotten some suggestions from friends to use some talc to absorb the moisture.

Seriously, I wouldn't use talc on your cards! I tried this, and after UNGODLY bad results, I ended up tossing that game. The smell was dreadful, and didn't help AT ALL. What happened was that the cards were dirty, and the dirt spots (which were also moist or oily) absorbed the talcum powder, leaving them worse than ever.

Also, if you do a bit of research, you will find that talc is really only recommended for use with the true plastic cards, not with paper/coated cards anyways....

If you do decide to do it - try it on a few cards first! Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.