XLR8» Forums » Reviews

Subject: XLR8 - Mille Bornes - only fun! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this game has some pretty bad ratings, but I just don't see why! We got this game for $4.00 (yes 4 bucks) about a week ago, and we've gotten some great family fun out of it already. So I figured I would write a review, as there seems to be little information out there.

The Parts
6 x Speed Wheels (score-cards)
103 x Game Cards

Storage
The game comes in a foil Zippered Bag. Everything fits in here after a game, for easy, compact storage.

The Game
The point of the game is to get your speed up to 200 miles per hour. You move up in speed by playing your MPH Cards, which range from 5 MPH to 40 MPH. As you play MPH Cards, you keep adjusting your Speed Wheel, which is your current score.

There are a few Multiplier Cards which are key to the game. If you have a 2x Multiplier, you can play it as soon as your score is 100 or above, and immediately win the game. If you have the single 3x Multiplier, you can win by playing it with only 70 points or more.

There are a few obstacles, which can be played against other players, like the Caution Card (Everyone goes back to 25MPH) and the Blow-out card (Miss a Turn) and the Pit Stop Card (One player goes back to 0 points).

Overall, games play very quickly (5 to 10 to 15 minutes), and are quite fun

Mille Bornes
Anyone who has played Mille Bornes will probably find this game similar. Similar, but MUCH MORE FUN! Mille Bornes has tons of things that slow the game down (can't get a "Go" card, or all the "Spare Tires" are gone, and I've got a flat), but this game has none of these problems. You are never stuck for more than one turn, and even if you get a "Pit Stop", it is really quite quick to build back up from 0 points.

Target Audience
We bought this game for our younger kids. There are a couple of them that just don't like Dominion or Ticket to Ride, and they were often left out. These two young ones are aged 6 and 9. I'd say this game is fine for any family with kids 6 and older. Basic counting (by 5s) is required. If your kids can't already do that, this is a good way to teach them - it's not difficult, and counting is really part of this game. It won't even seem like learning to them I bet.

Overall
This game isn't Power Grid. It's not Agricola. It's a nice fun family game, with lots of interaction. Our games tend to have a good share of yelling and protesting about who's the most powerful, and who should get the "Pit Stop". Games go at lightning speed most times, and even with 6 players it doesn't drag at all. My little ones love this game, and it's one I don't mind getting out at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.