Subject: Monopoly with REAL Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone out there ever attempted to play Monopoly using real American Dollars (in lieu of the paper money)? ... everyone pitches in an equal share; winner takes all that they earn (the rest remaining in the bank is redistributed to the players equally)...

Original rules, including property auctions; no crappy free parking house rules!

Over the years I've consistently thrown this possibility out there to my siblings, parent, and relatives, among whom there used to be quite a competition around the game.

Monopoly is rife with luck and monotony, but maybe the huge cash layout would actually make it fun again!

Anyone know precisely how much cash would be required to stock the bank (my set is so old and I'm sure it's missing bills)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know for a fact that in a lot of households this would cause even more arguments! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K.
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pzkrakz wrote:
Anyone know precisely how much cash would be required to stock the bank (my set is so old and I'm sure it's missing bills)?

Yes. The bank of the classic version of Monopoly contains $15,000.

Yes, that's right. Fifteen. Thousand. Dollars. Still wanna play? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been done! The 'Great Train Robbers' played a game of monopoly with real money while hiding from the police shortly after the robbery took place.

No evidence remains as to whether they played the proper 10% remortgage rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pzkrakz wrote:

Monopoly is rife with luck and monotony, but maybe the huge cash layout would actually make it fun again!

Why not just play a game you'd actually enjoy instead, with a huge cash payout?

Although honestly, by putting real money into such a game, you might very well cause hard feelings. Money tends to do that, especially significant sums of money. Unless your family already does this sort of thing all the time with poker or something, in which case, carry on I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rat of Steel wrote:
pzkrakz wrote:

Yes. The bank of the classic version of Monopoly contains $15,000.

Yes, that's right. Fifteen. Thousand. Dollars. Still wanna play? devil

Even if it was someone else's money up for grabs, would you really wanna spend four hours playing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it (sort of)

I would probably not waste my time playing Monopoly now, but when I was younger (between high school & college) and had very little other games available, a group of people would meet, drink beer, eat pizza, and all put in $5 to $20 each and play with the money going to the winner. Spending time with everyone was the real fun and I don't think I ever won the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It would be tedious. In addition to the standard boring gameplay, everybody would be paranoid about cheating. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes , Ive played it that way. except we substitiuted the 1 for a penny, 5s for nickles, 10 dimes, 100 1 buck, 500 for a fiver. This made it very tense. I enjoyed it.

for your information:

in Monopoly the bank has the following:

Actual monopoly

#--denomination

20--$500.00
20--$100.00
30--$50.00
50--$20.00
40--$10.00
40---$5.00
40---$1.00
TOTAL:$15,140

replacement when playing for money:

#-----denomination

20-----$5.00
20/35--$1.00 (replace 50s with 1s)
30------$.50 (we usually just added $15 ones)
90------$.10 (replace 20s with .10)
40-----$.01
TOTAL: $144.40

Breakdown of ante:

3 people: $50.00
4 people: $37.00
5 people: $29.00

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it would make for a more realistic game. Suddenly you don't want to spend anything and every penny you spend, you need to think about more. No more buying random properties because you can. That repairs bill - it is going to HURT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K.
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:
for your information:

(...)

Hmm. At least I was close, then.

BTW, your avatar is funny as hell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
I actually think it would make for a more realistic game. Suddenly you don't want to spend anything and every penny you spend, you need to think about more. No more buying random properties because you can. That repairs bill - it is going to HURT!

It's hard to think up of something more painful than playing Monopoly as it is...

I have another fun idea! How about "first to go bankrupt must eat a bag of nails"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson
United States
Amity
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes , Ive played it that way. except we substitiuted the 1 for a penny, 5s for nickles, 10 dimes, 100 1 buck, 500 for a fiver. This made it very tense. I enjoyed it.

I did the same in my younger years with some friends instead of poker that night. We also played Candyland a couple of times. The winner got $.05 a square and the pot of $.25 for each location card drawn (molasses swamp, gumdrop falls, etc...) God we were sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some guys that did this that were poker players.. I think one of them made the final table and they showed them playing it for real cash... It was the WSOP if I remember right! All I remember it was on tv and there was alot of cash on the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
It's hard to think up of something more painful than playing Monopoly as it is...

-sigh-

A kick in the nuts. There.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:

for your information:

Actual monopoly

#--denomination

20--$500.00
20--$100.00
30--$50.00
50--$20.00
40--$10.00
40---$5.00
40---$1.00

replacement when playing for money:

#-----denomination

20-----$5.00
20/35--$1.00 (replace 50s with 1s)
30------$.50 (we usually just added $15 ones)
90------$.10 (replace 20s with .10)
40-----$.01
TOTAL: $144.40

Breakdown of ante:

3 people: $50.00
4 people: $37.00
5 people: $29.00

$30 a person? Heck, I'd try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
Been done! The 'Great Train Robbers' played a game of monopoly with real money while hiding from the police shortly after the robbery took place.

No evidence remains as to whether they played the proper 10% remortgage rules...

That's interesting. In those times it would have been much costlier!

Well, despite the $15k+ expense (less whatever goes unspent from the bank), with a good set of dedicated, uber competitive players, I believe it would be as worthy an event as the poker tours ... once in a lifetime...

It would be a great way to open an FLGS (if there were a way to make it legal), since it would surely result in some free local press attention and large crowds gathered... Maybe if it were done as a fundraiser for each person's charity (although that would make it less cutthroat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow-up question:

Are there any games out there with money denominations that would allow for use of real money for under $100?

.. Or maybe I could get a copy of Monopoly in Japanese that uses Yen denominations...

Makes me wonder: does there exist currency so inflated in that it would be cheaper to use that countries actual bills for a game than to print fake ones? Zimbabwe?

1 US Dollar = 37,456,777 Zimbabwe Dollar
So, we could easily play Zimbabwe-dollars Supremacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember a world Monopoly championship where the finals might have been played with real money.
This could have been in the 1970s or 1980s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire would probably be a more fun game to do this with, but with the 5k notes just too costly... unless we play Zimbabwean Acquire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
BrenoK wrote:

-sigh-

A kick in the nuts. There.

But that's momentary pain, while the other is hours of pain....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly won't work nor will Acquire because the bank pays out to players rather than having a closed economy where players hold all the money in the game. Who is going to pay the $200 whenever someone passes Go? Who's going to give a player $20 whenever they win some small change from the Community Chest or Chance card?

I'm not aware of a boardgame that'd be appropriate, where the bank does not increase the amount of money in the game as time goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Monopoly won't work nor will Acquire because the bank pays out to players rather than having a closed economy where players hold all the money in the game. Who is going to pay the $200 whenever someone passes Go? Who's going to give a player $20 whenever they win some small change from the Community Chest or Chance card?

I'm not aware of a boardgame that'd be appropriate, where the bank does not increase the amount of money in the game as time goes on.

They way it works is everyone antes up to form the bank. At the end of the game the winner keeps the bank or he keeps all the money he has won and the rest of the bank is divided among the losers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to setup a house rule that a player cannot accept anything less than the full amount of rent owed on a property. Otherwise, some unethical player will keep everyone in the game until he collects all the bank's cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I'd play something like this Do I smell a BBG Con event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.