Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am preparing to play this game with my group and noticed that some of the special cards that involve removing junk cards state specifically that no collision roll is made (I believe Police Raid is one such card).

This got me to thinking that it is only when a junk card is destroyed that a collision roll is made. However, the Mechanical Arm junk card, or something like that, allows you to remove a junk card from an opponent's tower, yet it does not specifically state that a collision roll is not made. Is it?

Would it be a good rule of thumb to say that collision rolls are always made when a junk card is removed (except when it is the top card, of course), either as a result of being destroyed or a special effect, unless specifically stated otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
Would it be a good rule of thumb to say that collision rolls are always made when a junk card is removed (except when it is the top card, of course), either as a result of being destroyed or a special effect, unless specifically stated otherwise?

That's what the rules says - so Yes!.
Rules wrote:
Collisions
When a Junk card is destroyed, there may be a hole in your tower. The Junk cards and Reinforcement cards above the hole will then fall down on the Junk card directly below them or on the ground, resulting in a collision. You must perform a Collision roll for the two Junk cards that collide (or one if it hits the ground). You only roll once, even if two Junk cards are colliding.

Roll the die. If the roll is equal to or greater than the Strength of a Junk card (including Reinforcement cards), the Junk card and its Reinforcement cards are destroyed and discarded. Thus, new holes appear and more cards fall down, which means that you must perform new Collision rolls. This goes on until no more Junk cards can fall down or no Junk cards are destroyed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike.

I saw that in the rules, but being the way I am, the word destroyed seemed to indicate just that, that it applied only when a junk card was destroyed:

Collisions
When a Junk card is destroyed, ...

If the rules had stated "removed" instead of "destroyed", it would have been quite clear. As it stands, and given that many of the cards that remove (not destroy) junk cards state that no collision roll is made, it looked as though it might only be applicable to destruction.

Pedantic, me? I'm afraid so. It's a weakness of mine, no doubt made worse by working in a field where things must be specified completely and exactly. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedantic?
Then please don't destroy any of the junk cards - that will make the game less playable
But I see what you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Pedantic?
Then please don't destroy any of the junk cards - that will make the game less playable
But I see what you mean.

Lol, thanks Mike, that brought a chuckle to my otherwise dreary evening at work.

With some of the guys I game with, cards do get destroyed, but it's not because they're pedantic. Rather because they have a penchant for fast food and carelessness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansson
Sweden
Arlöv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
If the rules had stated "removed" instead of "destroyed", it would have been quite clear. As it stands, and given that many of the cards that remove (not destroy) junk cards state that no collision roll is made, it looked as though it might only be applicable to destruction.

Yes, that wording might have been better. But you are correct in your assumption, whenever there's a hole making a junk card fall you must roll for collision unless the effect creating the hole states that no collision roll should be done.

And that's official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter!

One of the fantastic experiences on this site is getting rules clarifications from the designers themselves. As a pendant, an official clarification is the very best kind, and it can't be more official than that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.