Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see users posting "I am selling a copy of game X" on Buying and Selling forum. I'd like a little more guideline on such postings.

It reads on the forum title page;
Quote:
Discuss game retailers, ebay sellers, the marketplace, and anything else related to buying and selling games here. Please, no offers or ads by sellers.

So I suppose I could flag this as rule violation but it's again a little unclear as the rule reads;
Quote:
Label a post as a Rules Violation only if it blatantly violates our forum rules.

I suppose one can say it did blatantly violate the rules but the forum rules read;
Quote:
If you are selling many games, it may be more appropriate to use the forums to promote those sales, but you are expected to execute that sale through the BGG marketplace, and thus pay BGG its 3% commission on the transaction.

I personally translate this as "if you're selling many games as a bundle, you may use forum to promote this" because there's no good way of bundling games in Marketplace. I don't care if someone has 5 or 500 games for sale- as long as they are sold separately, they shouldn't promote the sale using B&S forum.
I mean, there are probably hundreds of users selling tens of games at any given moment. If everyone putting a game on the Marketplace posted in B&S forum, it will be flooded with insignificant postings very fast.

I'd like to see these kind of postings not being posted in the first place out of respect toward others and I know most users are doing exactly that. However, I do sometimes find that such postings get rather good amount of attention and I think it's unfair for the rest of users who are considerate.

So, should these postings be;
1. Flagged and taken down?
2. Refrained but should be allowed?
3. Considered perfectly okay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bureaucrat Hwang, you are technically correct - the best kind of correct!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I requisitioned my groove back.

col_w wrote:
"Bureaucrat Hwang, you are technically correct - the best kind of correct!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP, given how the rules are written. Perhaps the problem is in the name "buying and selling," which suggests, well, it's about buying and selling. Plus, if there's a Trading forum even though there's a perfectly good trade manager function, shouldn't there be a general "I want to buy/sell" whatever forum, even if it's not Buying and Selling? Perhaps there's a distinction I'm missing, admittedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found the trade manager perfectly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shininiu wrote:

I mean, there are probably hundreds of users selling tens of games at any given moment. If everyone putting a game on the Marketplace posted in B&S forum, it will be flooded with insignificant postings very fast.

This is the problem, and why it should not be permitted to become commonplace IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are selling many games, it may be more appropriate to use the forums to promote those sales, but you are expected to execute that sale through the BGG marketplace, and thus pay BGG its 3% commission on the transaction.

Quote:
I personally translate this as "if you're selling many games as a bundle, you may use forum to promote this" because there's no good way of bundling games in Marketplace. I don't care if someone has 5 or 500 games for sale- as long as they are sold separately, they shouldn't promote the sale using B&S forum.

See, that's the thing though...you "personally translate" it as that, but others may read it and gather a different meaning; especially given the quote you used above your comment.

I would think that there are a lot of users who are for the first time doing geeklist auctions or putting items in the marketplace who might not realize that maybe the Buying and Selling forum isn't the proper place to post about their items for sale. Given that you would like a little more guideline, perhaps they need some too?

Quote:
If everyone putting a game on the Marketplace posted in B&S forum, it will be flooded with insignificant postings very fast.

Insignificant to you perhaps, but is it insignificant to the seller or a buyer who might be looking for that game? I posted in the B & S forum with my first geeklist auction, and it certainly wasn't insignificant to me or to the charity I am trying to support.

All the postings for Cici's charity auction were far from insignificant...that auction raised over $10,000 for the Fischer family and brought together the BGG community in a united cause to help and support them...that is not insignificant, it is outstanding.

Quote:
I'd like to see these kind of postings not being posted in the first place out of respect toward others and I know most users are doing exactly that. However, I do sometimes find that such postings get rather good amount of attention and I think it's unfair for the rest of users who are considerate.

I fail to see how anyone who has posted there has shown disrespect. Certainly no disrespect was intended. How is it inconsiderate? If someone doesn't realize that a post doesn't belong in a particular forum, it might be ignorant, but certainly isn't inconsiderate.

Now, before you or others jump down my throat, I responded because I think that there is more to this than just people trying to get attention for their particular games in the marketplace or geeklist auctions. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with everything you say, but I did intend to offer a differing viewpoint.

Quote:
So, should these postings be;
1. Flagged and taken down?
2. Refrained but should be allowed?
3. Considered perfectly okay?

I believe the admins will take care of moving a post if it doesn't belong in a certain forum...they've done it before, and I feel we should leave it up to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
historyguy71 wrote:
I believe the admins will take care of moving a post if it doesn't belong in a certain forum...they've done it before, and I feel we should leave it up to them.
I have to strongly DISAGREE with you about this remark, with regard upon whomever's "irrationale" for what transpired for this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/412056 and their BASIS on its 'relocation'. Please locate ANYTHING for which their WRONGLY attributed 'decision' would result for THAT? Also, please inform 'moi' and the remainder here as well, about just WHOM do we beseech in order to RIGHT their 'idiocies', since they LACK the moral backbone and intellectual wherewithal to "do the right thing" AFTER they've already committed to "doing the WRONG thang" themselves eh?
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.