Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a two part question, so here goes the first half: If during my turn I completely wipe the active race of an opponent, does it force them to skip their next turn to go into decline? According to the rules, they have a choice of either expanding through conquest OR going into decline. Since conquest is impossible, decline is the only option. If they are not forced into decline, how would this situation be treated?

This is the sticky answer to the first question:
Quote:
All active units destroyed
If all your active units are destroyed in one turn you may:
1) Score points only with the in-decline race.
or 2) Go into decline and score 0 for that turn.
You may not take a new combo this turn

The second part of the question is really a technicality: When I completely annihilated another player's active race, but they have about 7 tokens in decline, can they keep their in-decline race and choose another race or are they forced to go into decline with the race with 0 tokens, effectively wiping their already in decline forces off the board? They really technically only have 1 in-decline race with 2 race cards in front of them, but they will have 3 once they choose their new race since they did not go through the motions of putting their 'active' race into decline.

Please help! I am a very cut-throat player and only really attack the active forces of my opponents, usually resulting in them choosing to decline every other turn. It is so easy to collect VP when you get 2 turns to your opponent's 1 because they spend half the game in decline.

*edited to include 1st question answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
He can either choose to do nothing with his (wiped out) active race, and score only with his decline race, or decline his active race and remove the previous decline race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmb
In the example you gave, he could choose to stick it out another turn and score the seven points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:
This is actually a two part question, so here goes the first half: If during my turn I completely wipe the active race of an opponent, does it force them to skip their next turn to go into decline?
[...]
Please help! I am a very cut-throat player and only really attack the active forces of my opponents, usually resulting in them choosing to decline every other turn. It is so easy to collect VP when you get 2 turns to your opponent's 1 because they spend half the game in decline.

Just to be sure (since i can't imagine you really wiping out another player every second turn):
If you take away all areas of another player, he is not necessary wiped out. He ony loses 1 token from each area; with the remaining ones, he can re-enter the board in this next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He only had 4 tokens left, each occupying a different region. I believe the only reason he stuck it out was because he was scoring so much from his declined race.

So on his next turn, he would have had to decline, correct? That was really his only legal move considering he had no active race and his declined race was not the ghouls. So by me annihilating the only active tokens he had left, it wiped them and essentially his previously declined race in the same turn - because his in-decline race should have been removed from the board when he had to decline on the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, on his next turn, he has the option to do nothing and just score the points for his in decline race, as per the options quoted in the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Like I said in my first post, he doesn't have to decline. The rules say that if you conquer, then you cannot decline. It does not say that if you do not conquer, then you must decline.

If you marry Ann, then you cannot screw her sister. Doesn't mean that if you do not marry Ann, then you must screw her sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
If you marry Ann, then you cannot screw her sister. Doesn't mean that if you do not marry Ann, then you must screw her sister.

Bad analogy. That purely depends upon which rules you are following.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am understanding things correctly, it seems that your opponent still had active race tokens on the board but only one per region. Keep in mind that you can still abandon regions to continue an attack. The would force him to use remove tokens from regions and end up with fewer victory points by turn end, thereby making the current active race less desirable to continue.

On the other hand, if an active race was completely destroyed, rather the player had a declined race or not, each player is entitled to an active race unless they take a turn to put a race into decline. I would say that if the player does have a declined race, that race was not put into decline during that turn and therefore the player should have the ability to draw a new race on their very next turn and not be required to sit a turn out as though they were declining a non-existing active race.

Above all else, I believe this game was created as a fun, relaxed game (even though their is deeper strategy then there seems to be on the surface). Therefore, if it's not fun and enjoyable, such as being punished for being wiped off the map by sitting a turn out, then why play it. This is not RISK after all. If you're losing you just start over with a new force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Hmm...do you have Ann's phone number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
cree47 wrote:
If I am understanding things correctly, it seems that your opponent still had active race tokens on the board but only one per region. Keep in mind that you can still abandon regions to continue an attack. The would force him to use remove tokens from regions and end up with fewer victory points by turn end, thereby making the current active race less desirable to continue.

On the other hand, if an active race was completely destroyed, rather the player had a declined race or not, each player is entitled to an active race unless they take a turn to put a race into decline. I would say that if the player does have a declined race, that race was not put into decline during that turn and therefore the player should have the ability to draw a new race on their very next turn and not be required to sit a turn out as though they were declining a non-existing active race.

Above all else, I believe this game was created as a fun, relaxed game (even though their is deeper strategy then there seems to be on the surface). Therefore, if it's not fun and enjoyable, such as being punished for being wiped off the map by sitting a turn out, then why play it. This is not RISK after all. If you're losing you just start over with a new force.

That's incorrect on all counts. You still have to decline the active race token in front of you, whether it has any units remaining or not. As to whether or not that's "fun," I don't know, but I would suggest not getting into a situation where you can be completely wiped out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way that I am incorrect on all counts, when in fact I am not. The rules may be unclear on this particular situation, but to claim that my entire statement was incorrect is a little hasty. I think that the aspect of abandoning territories was completely correct and is directly supported in the rulebook. The rest of my statement deals with something that is not directly approached in the rulebook. I was simply offering my perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
cree47 wrote:
I like the way that I am incorrect on all counts, when in fact I am not. The rules may be unclear on this particular situation, but to claim that my entire statement was incorrect is a little hasty. I think that the aspect of abandoning territories was completely correct and is directly supported in the rulebook. The rest of my statement deals with something that is not directly approached in the rulebook. I was simply offering my perspective.

Sorry, I was in a hurry. You are absolutely correct about abandoning and continuing to conquer. On the other hand, your assertion here:

cree47 wrote:

was incorrect on all counts. You have to decline your active race and take that zero point turn (because your previously declined race will pop off the board when you decline) before you can select a new race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blackman
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:

This is the sticky answer to the first question:
Quote:
All active units destroyed
If all your active units are destroyed in one turn you may:
1) Score points only with the in-decline race.
or 2) Go into decline and score 0 for that turn.
You may not take a new combo this turn

Each turn the player with no active race tokens can keep doing (1), but at some stage they have to do (2). Then they have no active or in-decline tokens on the board or in hand, and only 1 in-decline race marker in front of them, which was just recently the active race. Hence the score of 0.

Please let me know if this extra explanation needs to be added to the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.